Windows 10 giving me issues lately

AJRoss94

I've recently ran into some problems that I thought were caused by some sort of virus, but I have now found out that my PC is totally clean. So it has to be an OS or hardware issue.

The issues:
-cannot use the windows search bar at all
-programs I frequently use are crashing a lot for the first time ever
-PC randomly restarts sometimes
-some windows updates will fail each time I try to install them

Please let me know if you can help me. I would greatly appreciate it!

First, backup any data files you do not wish to lose.

Your description sounds like malware, so I hope you are right about being "clean" because otherwise it will just get worse. How did you determine you were "clean"?

Without specifications and more specific information, we can only guess at the problem.

Desktop / laptop? Model numbers? Win10 installed by who/when? Error codes (like beeps or flashing LEDs)? Error messages? Critical errors and errors listed in Event Viewer (Administrative Tools)? BSOD errors? Mini-dumps? Temperature ranges and voltage ranges for various components (I use HWInfo)?

Can you get to a clean boot? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 Does that improve things?

What steps have you taken? Do you have a repair/recovery disk?

Consider http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-10

Thank you for the response. In the malware section, Broni worked with me to come to the conclusion that my computer is clean.

I am on a desktop and switched to Win10 a few months ago. I did it by using the free upgrade Windows offered me.

When I try to scan in command prompt, it only does it up to 16 percent completion and then says, "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation." When I try to update Windows, it fails and says: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140768) - Error 0x80073712.

But other than that, I don't get any error messages. Sorry if this still isn't enough information for you. I can work to get you whatever you may need.

Both of the disks had no errors.

Each time I try SFC, it gives me the same error as before after it hits 16 percent. I tried running it in safe mode, but that didn't help either.

So I know it has been a few days, but I made another thread (because my issue is different now) and a mod deleted it because I made this one...

Nothing worked to fix these issues, so I finally tried to reset Windows. It only got to 12 percent before it failed. After it failed, my PC restarted and went on an endless loop of restarting (never hitting Windows). Since it wasn't booting from my SSD for some reason, I decided to try it with an USB. It went to the beginning of Windows, but then gave me error 0xc000021a. All fixes for this involve me getting into Windows, but I can't even do that. Any help?

"Nothing worked to fix these issues, so I finally tried to reset Windows. "
?Using what media?

"It only got to 12 percent before it failed. After it failed, my PC restarted and went on an endless loop of restarting (never hitting Windows)."
I gather the reset failed at 12%. Then after you rebooted the machine, it went into a restart loop which terminates just as you might expect Windows to start. If so, I believe the 'reset' attempt has massively corrupted your old (flaky) Windows 10 installation.

"Since it wasn't booting from my SSD for some reason, " probably it is so corrupted it cannot boot.

If the machine will POST and if you can get into BIOS, then burn a fresh copy of the Windows 10 ISO on another machine and re-install Windows 10 as a clean install.

Otherwise, you need to resolve the hardware problem preventing you from POST.

Back