Windows 10 is the name of Microsoft's next-generation operating system

Julio Franco

Staff member

Forget about Windows 9, that would have been Microsoft's next OS under Steve Ballmer. The company is taking a more radical approach with its most treasured product.

Under Satya Nadella, the next version of Windows will run across devices, be it smartphones, tablets or laptops, TVs, and of course on desktops, and in the enterprise. Say hello to Windows 10.

Update: Download the Windows 10 Technical Preview now.

Microsoft hosted a Windows event in San Francisco that was meant to focus mostly on the enterprise side, but it actually grabbed headlines for the new name and direction the company is taking with their flagship operating system. Initially it was hinted that business folks would be the first to take a peek at Windows 10, the upcoming OS will provide a 'novel' way to separate corporate from personal information, it will be backwards compatible with enterprise tools, and provide a configurable Windows Store.

However, by the end of the event it was all about enthusiasts and developers. A Technical Preview will be released tomorrow.

"We want all these Windows 7 users to have the sentiment that yesterday they were driving a first-generation Prius... and now with Windows 10 it's like a Tesla. They don't have to learn any new way to drive."

Joe Belfiore, VP of the Operating Systems group, showed off Windows 10 desktop improvements, including the return of the Start Menu. When referring to the failed transition of Windows 8's Modern UI and how it handled the desktop, he said: "We don't want that duality, we want users on PCs with mice and keyboards to have their familiar UI."

windows microsoft satya nadella threshold windows 10

The new Start menu is customizable, marrying some of the legacy Start capabilities with Modern UI tiles, not unlike what we've seen from the several Windows 8 Start menu replacements, but of course, this time it will run natively.

An improved universal search (local, cloud and web) that lives within the Start menu is getting hyped up, however given the gripes we've had with Windows' search capabilities, even in Windows 8.1, we'll believe it when we see it.

Modern UI apps designed for touch now work windowed in the desktop, and will be compatible with a mouse and keyboard. The intent is that if you write one app for Windows 10 it will work across mobile or desktop devices, or in hybrids like the Microsoft Surface.

There's a new multi-tasking button in the taskbar called "Task view" that gives an overall view of all running applications and virtual desktops, similar to Expose in OS X. The addition is certainly welcome, but it's too bad it has to wait a full year until it arrives.

Microsoft is touting "Continuum" which is their way to say Windows will adapt, showing or hiding features depending if you are on a touch device or using the mouse. The Charms bar is still there in the preview, but it sorts of dissappears for desktop users and will receive improvements for touch users before release.

Windows' snap capabilities have also received a marked improvement, you can now select up to four applications and arrange them in a 2x2 grid. When you snap a window on the side, the OS will move other apps so they are not hidden behind and will suggest if you want to snap a second or third application. Looks like a breeze to work with (see it in action in the video above).

Windows 10 Technical Preview is slated to roll out tomorrow and it will be open to everyone, first targeting laptop and desktop users, with a build aimed at servers shortly thereafter. The Windows Insider Program website is where you need to go to grab it (tomorrow!) though Microsoft warns that this will be a very early build.

Windows 10 has received a "later in 2015" release date. More consumer-facing features won't be shown officially until next year's Build conference in April, which hints we are still a year away from Windows 10's final release.

Permalink to story.

Nice, fully integrated mini Metro into Start Menu, nobody cannot remove it. Say hello to 3rd party softwares from Windows 8 era.

Well you had various windows and I would assume windows 7 was the 7th iteration of the software. They could have called it Thresh, cause Phresh is just too 90's and black edition.
But to skip 9 completely, just seems, crap. Give it (9) a name, and call 10 .. 10... when it appears.
How is not calling it 9 RADICAL , in any shape or form. It's just lame, like windows 8 lame

Sounds ummm, well I guess skipping a number is going to make it faster?

Oh well I guess they are counting 8.1 as the "Windows 9" so whatever.

Should I really buy an OS from someone who cant count to 10? ...7 8 8.1 10. lol.
I expected no better

Obviously there is a reason for going with 10 that no one has figured out yet. My guess is that they are counting 8.1 as the 9th release and counting this as the 10th release.

"Should I really buy an OS from someone who cant count to 10? ...7 8 8.1 10. lol.

I expected no better "

this is the best you can do? saying they can't count?
Dear lord......

Its no different than when they released Madden 25. No one cared about that.

Windows 98: Decent
Windows ME: Garbage
Windows XP: Great
Windows Vista: Crap
Windows 7: Great
Windows 8: Garbage
Windows 9: Not being developed.
Windows 10: Location in sequence indicates widespread user disappointment and reinvestment in Windows 7.

When Madden plays games with their version numbering it is inconsequential. When Microsoft skips over a symbolically relevant version number, you wonder if your applications will function properly eight months down the road.

Their move to use one OS on PCs, tablets and smarphones is making Windows looking like shieth. They probably think it's easier to focus on just one OS but whatever you do to make it better on a tablet, it will also negativly impact PC experience or smartphone experience. If they want to improve PC experience, they will negativly impact tablet experience. It doesn't always have to be like this but it looks like it is now.

If we are able to remove those tiles in start menu or customize them, I'm happy. It will be more like Windows 7, which is a good thing.

Last edited:
Should I really buy an OS from someone who cant count to 10? ...7 8 8.1 10. lol.
I expected no better

Obviously there is a reason for going with 10 that no one has figured out yet. My guess is that they are counting 8.1 as the 9th release and counting this as the 10th release.

The obvious reason is that the number 9 is only 1 away from the number 8. And they want to distance this release as far away as they possibly can from 8. So I guess some genius at Microsoft said, "How can we make this release seem radically different from the prior release that we flubbed all to hell and back? I KNOW!!!!!. We skip the next logical name to make the Windows 8 disaster seem like a distant memory."

Amazing. And yet stupid at the same time.

I didn't think it was possible to make Windows uglier than 8.x. Once again Microsoft shows it can be done.

And what exactly "next generation" about this abomination, Techspot? Its the Windows 8 kernal with some minor UI improvements (and more ugly), and that's it.

Nice, fully integrated mini Metro into Start Menu, nobody cannot remove it. Say hello to 3rd party softwares from Windows 8 era.

Why don't you move on into the future rather than whining about how the start menu ruined your life?

I admire the approach of M$ to head for one software for all platforms, though they are years behind Apple and Samsung. Samsung bought the integration idea and look it stands at the top of the pack. But, keeping in mind the huge user base for M$ Windows it will still be the right direction though they lack the broader product base unlike Samsung.

you can fully remove the metro tiles if you want

anyway this looks good and more importantly they actually made logical changes. thank god steve balmer isn't there anymore.

Never liked windows 8 and 10 is no better. The format is hard to navigate since it takes up too much space on my 27 inch screen. Where is the list view format like previous versions. If I click on it...I can use it. If I have to scroll endlessly it becomes cumbersome and without function. Greedy MSN jerks. Form without function.

They could have at least used roman numerals. "Windows X". That would have been much cooler. The X could have stood for 10 or even the x variable for this and all future releases/updates since, supposedly, this release is the last big bang.

Or they could have done what the rumors have been suggesting and just released it as "Windows". That would have been okay.

Windows 10. How gay. Its still a linear progression even if it did jump 2 numbers.

Last edited:
OK well this settles it. Cortana is going to have to do a lot more than talk to me if M$ wants to sell this to me....Say, "ah" Cortana...:eek::)

"Cortana, download an old movie called 'Deep Throat'. It's not for me, it's for you. Get watching and start learning!"

you can fully remove the metro tiles if you want
What if I don't want to turn off the tiles and can appreciate the direction they are going in this regard. But instead want to turn off all the ugly multi-color background behind them. What is so hard about giving us the ability to paint or unpaint the UI as we see fit?

Back