Windows 10 Pro 64 No Longer Working Correctly After (Unidentified) Update

D

davislane1

[UPDATE]

I was able to fix all issues by burning a copy of build 1803 to a DVD and doing a fresh install. This also seems to have cleared up the 0000017 error preventing correct update installations. The update bug appears, for my system at least, to be something in the build 1511 package.

------

So here's the deal.

This thing auto-updated a few weeks back. One of the updates installed resulted in some type of conflict that I was never able to identify.

Specifically, it started to cause random system hangs and background app crashes without notice. These crashes resulted in all of the important fans in the PC either sitting at idle (GPU) or at minimum RPM (CPU) irrespective of temperature.

I'd only know those systems were down when I'd launch a resource-intensive application and get unexpectedly poor performance, only to find out upon inspection that the GPU and or CPU were throttling at 90+ Celsius.

I reformatted the drive and reinstalled Win 10 Pro to fix this.

Upon reinstall, however, I have a new set of problems.

First, is that Windows is no longer detecting one of my eithernet ports...the same port the system had been running off of prior to the OS reinstall.

Second, I can no longer select from multiple audio playback devices from the quick tab on the start bar. Everything is hooked up just like before, but it will only allow me to switch via the sound manager. Some applications are also now refusing to launch. Resolved.

Finally, I am unable to resolve a x0000017 error preventing correct installation of updates. The two most common fixes for this, the bcdedit and DISM fixes, fail to resolve the issue. I've also checked my RAM sticks and they are fine.

Looking for any possible solution. Things were running just fine prior to the previous two updates from Microsoft.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm; Sorry man, I'm still on win/7 -- where's all those win/10 advocates when you need them.

I'll offer this universal approach;
  • boot into safe mode
  • note what works & what doesn't
If major problems still exist, then it's recovery/reinstall time.

The win/10 specific I understand is a B**** to initiate - - something about forcing restarts with the power-off (3x) times and then using a recovery choice which then offers safe mode.

In my case, none of that was working. Even ran full diagnostics & testing on the components to make sure something wasn't actually broken. My original install disc is from one of the earlier builds of Win10, and even doing a full wipe of the install drive and fresh OS install wouldn't fix the x0000017 crash once it upgraded itself to 1511.

Sorry man - - that stinks that reinstall doesn't work. Consider downgrading?

Sorry man - - that stinks that reinstall doesn't work. Consider downgrading?

See the topic update. I was able to get around the issue by using a current build installer rather than upgrading from the old build I had on hand.

Sadly, going backwards isn't an option for me (either via build or windows version) due to some applications and games I run either requiring Windows 10 or a recent build of it.

Back