Windows 10 Readyboost memory leak?

Hi guys. I have Windows 10 on my work computer dual-booted with our standard Windows 7 image. I'm mostly testing out how well it works and for the most part it's pretty smooth, aside from not having RSAT yet.

Unfortunately today I noticed that my RAM usage was really high at 80%, with only XenCenter and a few tabs open in Microsoft Edge. When I looked at Task Manager, it showed that System was using 2.4GB (40%) of RAM in my 8GB system:
ram.PNG

I turned to the Windows WDK and poolmon to tell me what was using up so many resources, per this link:
http://www.technewstoday.com/25473-is-microsoft-windows-10-using-high-memoryram-heres-the-fix/

That brought me to tags "smNp" and "smBt".poolmon.PNG

If I then open up a command prompt, navigate to drivers and do "findstr /s smNp *.*" or "findstr /s smBt *.*" they both point to rdyboost.sys.snmp.PNG

I have no USB devices plugged in to my system, the only non-internal disks are just a CD in the DVD drive and a mapped network drive.

Did I go wrong somewhere? Why would a USB device performance technology be consuming such a large amount of RAM on my system? I'm sure once I restart it will go away, but I'm worried I won't be able to keep using W10 if I'm running into memory leaks like this one.

Attachments

• ram.PNG
    ram.PNG
    40.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi guys. I have Windows 10 on my work computer dual-booted with our standard Windows 7 image. I'm mostly testing out how well it works and for the most part it's pretty smooth, aside from not having RSAT yet.

Unfortunately today I noticed that my RAM usage was really high at 80%, with only XenCenter and a few tabs open in Microsoft Edge. When I looked at Task Manager, it showed that System was using 2.4GB (40%) of RAM in my 8GB system:
View attachment 80571

I turned to the Windows WDK and poolmon to tell me what was using up so many resources, per this link:
http://www.technewstoday.com/25473-is-microsoft-windows-10-using-high-memoryram-heres-the-fix/

That brought me to tags "smNp" and "smBt".View attachment 80572

If I then open up a command prompt, navigate to drivers and do "findstr /s smNp *.*" or "findstr /s smBt *.*" they both point to rdyboost.sys.View attachment 80573

I have no USB devices plugged in to my system, the only non-internal disks are just a CD in the DVD drive and a mapped network drive.

Did I go wrong somewhere? Why would a USB device performance technology be consuming such a large amount of RAM on my system? I'm sure once I restart it will go away, but I'm worried I won't be able to keep using W10 if I'm running into memory leaks like this one.

I've been experiencing the same issues since upgrading from 8.1 to 10, and have exactly the same symptoms as you've described.

My system has 4GB and the System/ntoskrnl.exe process is continuously using about half that most times, sometimes higher. Using portmon the tags smNp and smBt are the top two, which points to rdyboost.sys.

Capture.PNG

Never plugged any external USB flash drives or anything like that on this install of Windows 10, so I can't see why ReadyBoost would be consuming a decent proportion of my memory. Would be nice to find an answer...

Same here.
Sometimes it goes around 1.500 MB and then I can't even browse in my files anymore.
Someone should really give us a solution.

I had this same issue, my System was creeping up to 4GB RAM usage, and after reboot would climb from 0.1 to 500MB within an hour.

I also ran Poolmon.exe and found the same process and identified the tag as Readyboost - also don't have a USB device that is using Readyboost.

While searching for a solution, I saw a Microsoft rep saying that Readyboost required Superfetch in order to run. I disabled Superfetch in the services.msc and it has banished the leaky Readyboost from my system. I hope someone with the issue finds this, and finds this workaround helpful.

(I'm aware that Superfetch is consuming a lot of RAM on some systems as well when working as intended, but not 4GB, that was the Readyboost leak)

Back