Windows 10 surpasses Windows 7 to become most popular desktop OS

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: It’s been more than three years since it launched, but Windows 10 has passed the milestone Microsoft has been waiting for: the platform is now the most popular desktop operating system, having finally grabbed a larger market share than Windows 7.

Back when Windows 10 arrived in 2015, Microsoft famously said it planned to have the OS installed on one billion devices by 2018. One year later, it admitted that prediction was overly optimistic—partly because of the demise of the Windows Phone.

But new Windows 10 installs have continued growing at a strong and steady pace and reached almost 700 million devices back in May. Yet despite the free upgrade offers and Microsoft’s pushy, occasionally malware-like tactics to get people to move to its newest OS, Windows 7 retained the larger market share, mostly due to its popularity among enterprise users.

According to Net Market Share, however, all that changed in December when Windows 10’s worldwide market share jumped 1.08 percent to 39.22 percent, while Windows 7’s declined by 1.99 percent to 36.90 percent. Mac OS X 10.14 sits in third place with 4.73 percent, and Windows XP is fourth with 4.54 percent.

Interestingly, Windows' market share as a whole declined slightly between November and December, falling from 87.03 percent to 86.2 percent. Mac OS' share, meanwhile, went up from 9.71 percent to 10.65 percent.

With just over one year left before Microsoft ends extended support for Windows 7, expect to see Windows 10 continue to increase its market share.

Permalink to story.

Same here... was pretty much forced to upgrade when Oculus broke their software for Windows 7.

It was just a matter of time really. Keeping with modern software applications means keeping up with the times, whether they are good or not. Most software developers don't test their stuff in Windows 7 or 8 anymore. It is cost prohibitive to worry about so many platforms, so it is understandable. It sucks, but I get it.

To keep my applications as long as possible, stopped updating them when I also froze my Win/7. For example, I still have Quickbooks Pro v9 that's still viable. Yeah I know the old saw of Update for Security but really - - applications too? When my Win/7 is no longer viable, I'm headed to a Mac (laugh all you please).

That big of a statistical jump is really interesting and, IMO, highly unlikely.

From a mathematical standpoint, it makes me think that someone, some groups of someones, or something is cooking the statistics to make it look like the adoption rate has gone through the roof. In other words, I am calling :poop: on these statistics. If you find the right entity, you can pretty much pay them to say anything you want. I would not put it past M$ to pull some manipulative :poop:.

I've used Windows 95, 98, XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10.

I can say, without a doubt, that I've never been happier with a Windows than with Windows 10. It's perfect.

Although it is a memory hog, I always use 32GB of RAM anyway so I never feel lacking. 8GB or less is when I start to have problems. I also would never use any CPU under a Core i5.

"Back when Windows 10 arrived in 2015, Microsoft famously said it planned to have the OS installed on one MILLION devices by 2018."

I think that's a typo. Didn't they say 1 billion? 1 million in 3 years is hardly an accomplishment.

Certainly begs the question, did 10 become the most popular because they stopped supporting 7 and stopped selling it or is it really better? I'd like to see an honest survey on that one!
On a technical level it's just objectively better. People just don't like how the updates work and a few other things.
In terms of features, just the improved file copy window and task manager make the upgrade worth it.

That big of a statistical jump is really interesting and, IMO, highly unlikely.

From a mathematical standpoint, it makes me think that someone, some groups of someones, or something is cooking the statistics to make it look like the adoption rate has gone through the roof. In other words, I am calling :poop: on these statistics. If you find the right entity, you can pretty much pay them to say anything you want. I would not put it past M$ to pull some manipulative :poop:.

A lot of software has been dropping windows 7 support so that could be part of the reason why. People are just being forced to upgrade.

I've almost exclusively been using Apple computers since 1980 though I've been supporting MS OSes for users since Windows 2000. Coming from a Mac perspective Windows 10 is the first version of Windows nice enough to use primarily, which I've been doing for the past year or so.

Granted this has been for gaming primarily as only a fool would buy a Mac for that, but this gaming PC has also been my daily driver for a while now, though I still use a Mac laptop and have other Macs in the house. I did find Windows 7 to be the version of XP which they should have made but it still felt a little too "old school" MS OS for me. The interface is clean but a bit too archaic I suppose. Win 10 is not perfect but I've found very little to complain about.

I wonder how used would it be if it wasn't forced down peoples throats.

I agree. I upgraded accepting the inevitable from Windows 7 while it was 'free'. Yes I accept there have been some improvements over Windows 7 but it is still a dogs breakfast of components and settings all over the place. However my main complaint is echoed by many online that it doesn't appear as tolerant of hardware differences as did Windows 7. I have had constant BSODs recently, more than I've had since DOS and Windows 3.1 days, yet the error reports don't specify what's causing the problems that didn't exist under Windows 7 they are too general and nobody online seems to be able to decipher them at all. Updating all drivers doesn't work, checked all hardware is still seated properly and it is, at random times there's just the OOPS, and it crashes. I must say I have seriously considered going back to Windows 7 - one computer at work is still on Windows 7 and what do you know, no problems!

A lot of software has been dropping windows 7 support so that could be part of the reason why. People are just being forced to upgrade.
The fact that both Intel and AMD have come out and flatly stated "that all future processors, (and by extension chipsets), will only be fully compatible with Windows 10", goes to show that what you're saying can't be dismissed as a "conspiracy theory", but is, in fact, a full blown conspiracy. To imagine that software developers and publishers wouldn't jump on the bandwagon, if only out of self preservation, is outright naivety and foolishness.

For consumers, the 2nd worst thing that could have happened to M$ is Bill Gates leaving his mentally challenged friend, Steve Ballmer, in charge when he retired.

The worst that could have happened to M$, and the entire computer industry at large, is Satya Nadella, period.

To go off of my own topic, what many people don't know, or don't understand, (even self imagined computer "experts"), is that with a UEFI BIOS, you could install Windows 7 on boards at least as recent as Intel 170.

My X170 board has a feature in the UEFI called "USB 3.0 hand off", which counters the fact that 7 doesn't have the newest USB drivers on its disc. The UEFI has drivers to install the Os and keep the USB ports working. After installation, you just go into BIOS, and turn control of the USB 3.0, over to Windows.

So as primitive as it might seem to some of you hipsters in the audience, you can Install Win 7, on late model boards, with a lowly DVD, and even a lowly PS-2 mouse and keyboard.

I think one of the biggest problems with new Window's launches is that computers typically aren't ready for them if they are lower end computers.

In my opinion, anything lower than a Core i5, with less than 8GB of DDR3 isn't equipped to properly handle Windows 10 or 8.1.

Windows 10 runs at its best on a Core i5, 16GB of RAM and an SSD.

I understand where the complaints come from.

People trying to upgrade their cheapo laptops and desktops are always gonna be mad.

The fact that both Intel and AMD have come out and flatly stated "that all future processors, (and by extension chipsets), will only be fully compatible with Windows 10", goes to show that what you're saying can't be dismissed as a "conspiracy theory", but is, in fact, a full blown conspiracy.
Maybe, but I'll suggest mere laziness and cost cutting. Why write and qualify drivers for an 8+ year old OS in addition to the current one when you can spend less $ to support only the current one?

Compared to Windows 10, Windows 7 looks dated. I still don't like the tiled start menu but startisback still works flawlessly.
I actually disagree with this. Windows 7 had Aero and semi transparent window frames, with personalised adjustments available to most visual components. Windows 10 is flat and bland with limited color schemes and personalisation options compared to Windows 7. I think it was a massive step backwards in the aesthetics department.

Compared to Windows 10, Windows 7 looks dated. I still don't like the tiled start menu but startisback still works flawlessly.
You're funny. First you say "Windows 7 looks dated", then you extoll the virtue of "Startisback", which makes 10 work like 7.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5713-startisback.html

It's just a humble suggestion on my part, but most people are able to pick one side of their mouth to talk out of at a time.. :rolleyes:

Back