Windows 10 to be finalized this week

Scorpus

Staff member

The sudden flurry of Windows 10 Insider Preview releases over the past week was a sign of what's to come: Microsoft is expected to finalize the operating system this week, according to sources at both Neowin and The Verge.

Once the operating system is finalized, Microsoft will ship a release to manufacturing (RTM) build to various OEMs, allowing them to test the OS and prepare for its release on a collection of new devices. Some RTM candidate builds have already appeared online, including build 10176, several builds newer than the latest Insider Preview (build 10162).

Although Windows 10 will be officially "finalized" when Microsoft hits RTM status, and the operating system will be largely bug free and ready for public use, the company will continue to update the OS regularly following its launch. This is part of Microsoft's new 'Windows as a Service' model, which will see the OS receive bug fix and feature updates more frequently than ever before.

Over the next few months we can expect Microsoft to add in features such as extension support for their Edge browser, before we see a major update codenamed 'Redstone' arrive in June 2016. Basically anything that Microsoft didn't have time to add in to Windows 10 before its launch will come as an update in the months that follow.

With Windows 10 set to hit RTM status this week, OEMs will get 2-3 weeks to test the final version of the OS before it's publicly released in waves starting on July 29th. While Windows 10 should be largely stable come the 29th, some lingering bugs, issues and driver problems will almost certainly need to be resolved post-launch.

Permalink to story.

Cannot wait to go from Tech Preview to full blown. Although this last update feels pretty complete.

If so wouldn't that be the best time to start roll-out?

They'll probably start sending out pre-load files soon after. July 29th is so availability is wider. OEMS will have new hardware pre-loaded with it, more machines can officially upgrade on the first day & it also allows more time for reducing the number of bugs with Day 1 patches.

Just looking at that start menu makes me want to pass, its like windows 7 with half the options gone and ads on the right side.

Also what is this a tablet port? I use programs not apps.

You seem somewhat confused about how this works. The Tiles aren't ads at all. You can turn them off if you want. And no, what you're seeing isn't a tablet port. All of your programs will run just fine on your computer. But you might want to check out the Windows Store this time around, because there's a lot of new stuff. As someone who's testing Windows 10, it's pretty good. But of course, you can always continue to wallow in your arrogance/ignorance.

Looks like someone hit a raw nerve with that comment. Ignorance /arrogance? How about windows 7/8 instead lol

I for one can't wait for the Big 10. I'm ready to move on from Windows 8.1. Even tho I actually enjoy my 8.1 machine, I found Win 8 to be a pain. The best of Redmond & Microsoft & they came out with Windows 8? Whoever designed 8 should be fired. 8.1 was a big improvement on 8 but not a giant leap. Windows 10 looks like my kinda future :)

I'll be upgrading just my 8.1 netbook to test the water. If that goes OK it should be fine on my other computers. I certainly hope that the available apps are being revised. There is too much junk in the Windows store and that's a big negative. Here's hoping that the Edge browser will be outstanding and faster than the alternatives. Microsoft have listened to ordinary users for the first time so I'm optimistic.

It is running great. No problems installing programs designed for windows 8. Cortana is really smart now and helpful. Also the New groove music app rocks.

Impressive.
I was really doubtful that RTM could be ready on time but W10 manage to progress really fast in few weeks only. Maybe Microsoft can manage this, maybe they can…

Back