Windows 10 will begin reserving 7GB or more for updates

Greg S

What just happened? As an early warning to all Windows 10 users, Microsoft has pushed out a feature update notice that additional storage space will be reserved starting with build 1903. Anyone extremely low on disk space may want to free up storage before installing the next major release when it arrives this spring.

When the next major update to Windows 10 arrives, you may notice that a sizable portion of disk space has been eaten up. In fact, Microsoft will be allocating working space for updates, applications, temporary files, and caches to prevent problems from lack of available storage.

Remember all of the issues with the October 2018 Update and user files going missing? This change will ensure that no user files ever need to be relocated in order for updates to be installed.

Currently, when a user fills up all of their available disk space, Windows runs into a problem. Certain applications and services begin to fail in no particular order. Adding a storage reserve eliminates these issues and improves the overall stability of the platform.

When it is time to install updates, end users should no longer see their disk space used increase during the download process. In the event that that very large updates are pushed out that go beyond the already allocated space, the reserved amount can be increased. If there is no more space available, it will be possible to plug in external storage such as a USB drive or hard drive and continue as normal without deleting files from your local hard drive.

Storage Sense will attempt to keep a hold on the size of the reserved space by removing unneeded temporary files. Even though Microsoft is stating that the reserved portion will begin at 7GB in the next major release, it will vary over time. For the majority of users, losing a little bit of storage space will have no impact on performance, but will help avoid annoyances later down the road.

Should you be feeling a little short on storage space, consider checking out our guide of Ways to Free Up Storage Space on Windows. If you still need more, take a look at The Best of Storage 2019 to pick out some extra hardware.

Permalink to story.

I've always considered Windows OS's as bloatware. That's why I have my operating system parked on a 256GB SSD with plenty of room to spare just for situations like this.

And with AAA games and production software taking up 50GB and more of space, this is really pretty mild by comparison.

Currently, when a user fills up all of their available disk space, Windows runs into a problem. Certain applications and services begin to fail in no particular order. Adding a storage reserve eliminates these issues and improves the overall stability of the platform.
More evidence that M$ is a glutton

More evidence that M$ is a glutton

I don't know if you've ever had the joy of a Linux server filling up on disk space, but I can tell you things fall apart in more or less the same way if you do. Reserving space for system files way ahead of time is an interesting approach, though I suspect many will also be looking a way to turn it off if they feel like they're losing too much.

My 256GB SSD is already so short on space, I have no way of making another 7GB for MS junk. Will have to disable all future updates now :(

My 256GB SSD is already so short on space, I have no way of making another 7GB for MS junk. Will have to disable all future updates now :(
Good luck if your running windows 10 you will be forced to install all updates as your operating system is not yours to do with as you please. I still wonder why fanbois glorify windows 10. It's complete trash.

I wouldn't say it is "complete" trash. I would probably be using it if it weren't for the sleazy, misleading, and theft of personal information by Microsoft that keeps me from it.

Microsoft - for all those people you forced into Win10, if they run out of drive space and can no longer be forced to install updates, you are the one who needs to buy everyone more drive space. You are forcing us into operating system failures (and productivity loss) due to no hard drive space. Congratulations on yet another epic fail. I so wish they wouldn't have done this. When are they going to start over on Win11?

Good luck if your running windows 10 you will be forced to install all updates as your operating system is not yours to do with as you please. I still wonder why fanbois glorify windows 10. It's complete trash.
On pro you can fairly easily turn off updates through the group policy editor. On Home, there are means out there to install the group policy editor without having pro, however, I have no personal experience in doing this so I do not know whether turning off updates after having the GPE cobbled in there works.

For my one Home machine, I disabled three services and no more updates unless I want them - which, for the most part, I don't want them.

That space could be quite useful to copy and save files naming them as updates files without occupying known space to user! and then upload it or copy to external drive later if possible!

Default Windows installation after several major updates and with using the Cleaning tool is about 15 GB. The problem is you guys.

Seems humorous to me that M$FT has been making operating systems for over 20 years, and they're about seven "feature updates" in on this new Windows 10 "as a service" before they decide to take measures to make sure there is enough space for the update and related data. Did they just hire a bunch of GED-equivalent monkeys to code Windows 10??? It's like they have no clue what they are doing.

On a side note, hey Microsoft, how about you finish replacing all the old Vista-era control panel applets, and give the power of customization back to the power user and administrators before adding more "features" we don't need. Thanks!

And to all the complainers about 7 GB for a feature update, BUCK UP! Storage is cheap! Considering you can get 128 GB of flash storage for less money than a filling meal for two at a decent restaurant, why are you complaining?

Seems humorous to me that M$FT has been making operating systems for over 20 years, and they're about seven "feature updates" in on this new Windows 10 "as a service" before they decide to take measures to make sure there is enough space for the update and related data. Did they just hire a bunch of GED-equivalent monkeys to code Windows 10??? It's like they have no clue what they are doing.

On a side note, hey Microsoft, how about you finish replacing all the old Vista-era control panel applets, and give the power of customization back to the power user and administrators before adding more "features" we don't need. Thanks!

And to all the complainers about 7 GB for a feature update, BUCK UP! Storage is cheap! Considering you can get 128 GB of flash storage for less money than a filling meal for two at a decent restaurant, why are you complaining?

Hello, McFly. It takes hours to re-install windows plus re-installing all the missing apps, plus restoring data, plus not having a computer during the whole process if you're at all competent. Not to mention knowing what type of drive or the best one to buy, plus time to research and shop for one, driving to get one or wait a week, plus install it. Most people barely know how to push the power button. Not to mention it wasn't an issue to begin with. All because MS wants to artificially chew up drive space? A big bone-headed move.

I guess they are hoping their previous updates that delete a person's files would have cleared up this space?

I personally don't like HDD at all beyond archival storage.

My Boot Drive is a 525GB SSD with 25GB specifically for Windows and the rest for music, videos and files...

...but my main drives are four 1-TB SSD for gamesand videos (Video editing is fastest from SSD to SSD).

So we gonna needing a bigger drive HDD ssd hybrid. when 4k 8k comes it would be petabyte. 8k raw 5 min takes 1 pb with 5 min movies. so getting a 2 petabytes in ssd stick would be some how 8 min storrage. what if you want to see 1 ohr 8k raw how many pb do wee needing then ?
why not go for hd 4k 8k 16 textures in win 10 like pc games. then you would needing 4-16 tb textures and rest of that too temp catche adobe catche and so on.

Hey, if you don't want another MS update to downgrade your computer further, how about NOT leaving 7GB free for the update?

If Microsoft deletes anything, you can sue them
Is that how you turn off updates?

As well as the fact MS's current update model is user testing of beta quality updates... Their new update model is a disaster. Hopefully the ramifications of this crap will force them to rethink.

Huh, you can turn off auto updates.

Can't blame MS cause you use a small hard drive. That's on you. Invest in a bigger hard drive or do what smart people and don't use your ssd for everything.

I wouldn't say it is "complete" trash. I would probably be using it if it weren't for the sleazy, misleading, and theft of personal information by Microsoft that keeps me from it.

Microsoft - for all those people you forced into Win10, if they run out of drive space and can no longer be forced to install updates, you are the one who needs to buy everyone more drive space. You are forcing us into operating system failures (and productivity loss) due to no hard drive space. Congratulations on yet another epic fail. I so wish they wouldn't have done this. When are they going to start over on Win11?
Windows is a evolving ecosystem, there wont be another windows coming. It's just like Apple.
MS aren't the only ones who mislead, steal data or are even sleazy, ALL companies do that including Apple and Google.

Back