Windows 11 desktop watermarks start appearing on unsupported systems

Daniel Sims

Staff
Facepalm: Users have been circumventing Windows 11's controversial system requirements since the OS first launched, and Microsoft has held an executioner's sword over the "unsupported" PCs' heads ever since. A recent update suggests Redmond may finally bring it down soon.

Microsoft may finally be introducing a dreaded feature it first teased last year. Since the January 2023 Windows update, some Windows 11 users have reported seeing a watermark on their desktops warning them about unmet system requirements.

According to comments on Microsoft's website and Windows blogs, a new watermark has appeared in the lower right corner saying "System requirements not met" and directing them to the settings menu. Some users report that Microsoft suggests reverting to Windows 10.

Windows 11's strict system requirements have faced criticism for not officially supporting CPUs older than Intel 8th Gen Coffee Lake, AMD Zen+, or Zen 2. The main reason is that Microsoft wants to ensure every Windows 11 system possesses TPM 2.0 security.

However, the company thus far hasn't prevented users from installing its latest operating system on processors as old as Intel 6th gen. Last spring, reports confirmed that a watermark would appear to warn those using Windows 11 on systems below its official specifications, and it seems to have finally arrived for some.

Reports are scattered, but Redmond could be running another A/B test like the ones it performed last year. However, the watermark has also appeared on systems that technically meet the requirements. If yours is one of them, it's possible the recent update changed a BIOS setting which could have disengaged TPM.

Windows 11's unusual system requirements could be one reason it hasn't gained user market share as quickly as Windows 10. Multiple analyses, including Statcounter and the Steam survey, reveal it is slowly gaining, but Windows 10 is still the dominant OS. Likewise, although AdDuplex hasn't updated its numbers since last year, it shows a stark difference between Windows 11 and Windows 10 adoption speeds.

It's not like Microsoft hasn't tried to make Windows 11 more appealing. Recently, the company refreshed its task manager, notepad app, file explorer, snipping tools, and other features. Despite the improvements and the still-available free Windows 11 upgrades, many users likely can't or won't upgrade from older CPUs.

Image credit: Windowslatest.com

Permalink to story.

I get why they want to be sure every machine has TPM, but every machine that has it can also disable it. I have TPM setup and active on every work machine along with BitLocker enabled. I'm actually running into more issues with TPM than I care to admit. Maybe they should fix TPM before Microsoft decides that every machine should have it. I just checked my personal gaming laptop and no watermark as of yet. I'm sure there's something in the registry that can turn it off lol

This foolishness needs to stop. So they're taking away our ability to buy new copies of Windows 10 and AFTER THAT, they release an update to leave watermarks on peoples peoples who may have "upgraded".

This is getting exhausting to deal with. My S21 updated today, without my consent and then forced me to agree to a new user license agreement. Now, unless I had the chance to install another OS on the device, which I cannot, I have no choice but to 'agree' to the terms of the new update(that I didn't want installed in the first place)

I wouldn't call that a choice because my choices were either agree to the new EULA or stop using the hardware that I paid for. This is a toxic trend that needs to stop. I cannot wait to get a new phone so I can run GrapheneOS.

The only license agreement I should have to agree to is the one at the time of purchase. I'm not against subscription services or software licenses where you just pay for a right to use the software. However, if you have a one time fee for the right to operate that software the terms you agree to at the time of purchase should never change unless you willingly do so. What MS is doing is forcing updates on you, not telling you any meaningful amount of information about what's in them and then making you agree to a new ToS.

This foolishness needs to stop. So they're taking away our ability to buy new copies of Windows 10 and AFTER THAT, they release an update to leave watermarks on peoples peoples who may have "upgraded".

This is getting exhausting to deal with. My S21 updated today, without my consent and then forced me to agree to a new user license agreement. Now, unless I had the chance to install another OS on the device, which I cannot, I have no choice but to 'agree' to the terms of the new update(that I didn't want installed in the first place)

I wouldn't call that a choice because my choices were either agree to the new EULA or stop using the hardware that I paid for. This is a toxic trend that needs to stop. I cannot wait to get a new phone so I can run GrapheneOS.

The only license agreement I should have to agree to is the one at the time of purchase. I'm not against subscription services or software licenses where you just pay for a right to use the software. However, if you have a one time fee for the right to operate that software the terms you agree to at the time of purchase should never change unless you willingly do so. What MS is doing is forcing updates on you, not telling you any meaningful amount of information about what's in them and then making you agree to a new ToS.

Some update some ways back on my S8 I got prompted with a Samsung terms that I need to agree to, I just swipe it off to the left and the notification goes away. Every day since then that notification comes up on my phone and I just clear it. I won't agree to their sh!t. I just keep using the phone without issues, I just get that annoying popup once or twice a day.

Microsoft probably has every legal right to display annoying banners trying to get you to buy more hardware and software that you don't need, as annoying and obnoxious as that may be.

What I hope will be vigorously contested in court when the day comes is if Microsoft has the legal right to avoid liability for security holes in products it developed and sold, marketed as the "final version of Windows", and then decided to arbitrarily stop providing security patches for (in a couple years) even though it had the ability to to provide that hardware with a working copy of Windows 11 which had those security holes patched, all so it could artificially obsolete tens or hundreds of millions of otherwise perfectly fine devices. If that lawsuit comes, they will not want me on the jury.

Microsoft probably has every legal right to display annoying banners trying to get you to buy more hardware and software that you don't need, as annoying and obnoxious as that may be.

What I hope will be vigorously contested in court when the day comes is if Microsoft has the legal right to avoid liability for security holes in products it developed and sold, marketed as the "final version of Windows", and then decided to arbitrarily stop providing security patches for (in a couple years) even though it had the ability to to provide that hardware with a working copy of Windows 11 which had those security holes patched, all so it could artificially obsolete tens or hundreds of millions of otherwise perfectly fine devices. If that lawsuit comes, they will not want me on the jury.
Microsoft might not want the law firm I work for going after them either. Though, if I brought it up to the attorneys they may be excited about that kind of payout.

Oh well Windows 10 for as long as I can. Why would I update a perectly fine and still very capable PC because of TPM BS. They have still given not one compelling reason as to why it's needed and proof it's effective and that's aside from the fact 11 still sucks. I just hope 11 is their Vista moment and 12 is more like 10. I might upgrade my oldest PC then.

"it's possible the recent update changed a BIOS setting which could have.....bla bla blah"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates do not make BIOS changes
Only End Users and "MALWARE" make BIOS changes!

(Please correct this blatant error)

I get why they want to be sure every machine has TPM, but every machine that has it can also disable it. I have TPM setup and active on every work machine along with BitLocker enabled. I'm actually running into more issues with TPM than I care to admit. Maybe they should fix TPM before Microsoft decides that every machine should have it. I just checked my personal gaming laptop and no watermark as of yet. I'm sure there's something in the registry that can turn it off lol

I work in IT. and the amount of users that bring me a bricked machine for one reason or another and want their data. But never backed up the bitlocker key so can't move the drive to even recover data. On by default and it doesn't auto backup the key is a disaster for 99% as most arnt tech savvy.

I agree. I have a Galaxy Tab S7 FE that came up with a new "you have to accept this or else" ToS, too, and equally, I don't like it.

You may not agree, however, I think things like this, where companies get to shove what ever they damn well please down our throats, is another issue that should be addressed as part of Biden's SOTU comments about reigning in Big Tech. If not done in a law, these Big Tech companies surely as hell won't do it on their own.

"it's possible the recent update changed a BIOS setting which could have.....bla bla blah"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates do not make BIOS changes
Only End Users and "MALWARE" make BIOS changes!

(Please correct this blatant error)
Perhaps in your experience, however, my experience is that Windohs 10 updates used to change the bios boot order. I specifically have two laptops that were set to boot from USB if a USB drive was in any of the USB ports. I use USB to make image backups before any Windohs update. After the update finished, I shut Windohs down, plugged in my USB drive, turned the laptops back on, and Windohs booted. I b!tched to M$ about this, and they finally stopped doing it. I can only imagine that they did it in the first place for dummies who updated Windohs from a USB stick, yet forgot to pull it out when Windohs rebooted.

I think you should have added a /s to your post.

Last edited:
A couple days ago I started getting infinite loop BSODs on an unsupported laptop with Win 11. I fixed it by removing Windows and installing Ubuntu 22.04. I'm not buying new hardware when the existing is perfectly capable for what I use that machine.

At work I had a Win 10 machine using TPM with Bitlock etc. The TPM chip failed. I was down until IT got me a replacement laptop. That was fun.

I have a virtual Windows 11 installation on my NAS - fully supported. The NAS runs Linux natively. I also run an Ubuntu VM on it. I have an Xbox for gaming. Outside of professional simulation software which requires Windows for certain applications, I'm slowly making my move away from it.

:rolleyes: Because it is/has been/probably still is an issue, and it is logical fallacy to assume something like "it hasn't happened to me, so no one else experiences it".
I understand what you are saying, and I agree that others may see this as a normal thing for Microsoft or others to modify their firmware without their consent

For me, that is malware and I do not allow any Corporation to modify my firmware without my explicit consent

Others will continue to be baffled by unexpected changes to their firmware, and I will continue to enjoy the unchanging consistency of mine
:)

If you're sick of this ****, switch to linux.. desktop is heaps snappier, and games support is growing by the day. It's only by taking a stand and switching that Microsoft (may) consider changing it's course.

You are just showing you don't know the value of TPM. That doesn't mean it has no value for security of machines. It absolutely does.
Choosing to believe in something does not make it so

TPM's have zero value and provide no security for end users who actually understand security

These are facts, not beliefs

"Value" is derived from what I actually want, have and need from "my" PC, not what Microsoft dictates that I need from "their" Monopoly Perpetuation Systems which are nothing more than endless treadmills to nowhere

You have no evidence that a TPM has value for an end user, or that it provides security for said user in Monopoly controlled operating systems such as Spyware Platforms 10 & 11

Last edited:
Microsoft knows it can abuse its 'customers.'

The operating system has been substandard since 1.0.

(Fortunately for MS, Apple has lost sight of user friendliness as the main UI design goal — although it doesn't matter because people have proven that they will pick Windows regardless.)

It's hilarious that the operating system can't even let people move open files from one directory to another nor let them be renamed. It's hilarious how difficult it is to simply grab a window from the top and move it somewhere. It's hilarious how Windows has always tried to mode people in by having each window desperately try to expand to take over the entire screen. Et cetera.

Choosing to believe in something does not make it so

TPM's have zero value and provide no security for end users who actually understand security

These are facts, not beliefs

"Value" is derived from what I actually want, have and need from "my" PC, not what Microsoft dictates that I need from "their" Monopoly Perpetuation Systems which are nothing more than endless treadmills to nowhere

You have no evidence that a TPM has value for an end user, or that it provides security for said user in Monopoly controlled operating systems such as Spyware Platforms 10 & 11
It does by virtue of existence of boot load exploits. They are not new. They are completely understandable if you look into it.

Honestly you just keep posting contrarian rubbish. Cya.

Back