Windows 12 is coming, and Qualcomm may have already tested the OS on its new Arm chip

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
Rumor mill: The increasing number of rumors and subtle hints about Windows 12 is starting to turn into proof that the OS is in production. In fact, the next generation of Windows could arrive within the next few months. Qualcomm seems to be leveraging that possibility to market its Snapdragon X Elite-based systems.

During an October event, Qualcomm introduced the Snapdragon X Elite SoC, stating that its new computing platform would be the most "intelligent," powerful, and efficient processor built for Windows. In December, Qualcomm said that its Arm chip is faster than Apple's M3 and provides AI acceleration capabilities that supercharge productivity, creativity, and AI-based workflows.

Windows Latest points out that Qualcomm's presentation included what could be the most apparent hint to an upcoming refresh of the Windows ecosystem discovered so far. The fabless chip manufacturer mentioned an unspecified "Windows OS" installed on a Qualcomm laptop reference design used to test the CPU performance of the Snapdragon X Elite SoC.

The company benchmarked the new Arm chip and the generic Windows OS against two Samsung x86 laptops based on the 12-core i7-1360P and the 10-core i7-1355U Intel CPUs running Windows 11. The specific distinction between "Windows OS" and "Windows 11" points to the possibility that Qualcomm was using a pre-release version of Windows 12.

Rumors have indicated that Windows 12, featuring AI-focused capabilities, including an improved Copilot, might arrive by mid-2024. If true, Qualcomm having a working version to test in October is not that far-fetched.

Its interface design would be similar to Windows 11, with a few unique changes--a "floating" taskbar, for example. Desktop widgets might also return because Microsoft needs to remind PC users how great the Windows Vista experience was in the 2000s.

A heavily AI-focused operating system would greatly benefit from dedicated AI accelerator logic units. Intel optimized its latest x86 chips for AI-related applications and workloads, while Arm chips could offer an improved user experience thanks to their traditional power efficiency. If Microsoft bets big on AI in Windows 12, a pairing with an AI-first SoC like Snapdragon X Elite could showcase how AI acceleration can scale to improve the overall PC experience.

Permalink to story.

because Microsoft needs to remind PC users how great the Windows Vista experience was in the 2000s
people forget that most of the problems with Vista were from people installing it on machines that weren't fast enough to run it and that their slow machines usually didn't have driver support for Vista. This problem was compounded by OEMs preinstalling Vista on machines with leftover hardware from the previous generation. You could buy a brand new Dell machine with Vista pre-installed but some or all of the hardware didn't have Vista drivers.

But with that out of the way, MICROSOFT NEEDS TO STOP MAKING MRW VERSIONS OF WINDOWS!!! Windows 7 was fine, but NOOOO, they had to make a tablet centric OS and came out with Windows 8. Then I think it took less than a year for them to retract nearly every feature of 8 amd release it as 8.1. Then they released 10 which everyone only thought was great because they had been roasting UI marshmallows over a dumpster fire filled with toxic waste for the last few years.

BUT NOOOOOOO, they just couldn't contain themselves. A few years after Windows 10 was out they had to start "updating" the UI to move settings around and make it difficult to do masic maintenance on. Still, that wasn't enough. They had to start collecting our user data on an OS that WE PAID FOR. Well, atleast this was the final version of windows so maybe we'll work around it.

BUT NOOOOOO, they had to release Windows 11, moved all the taskbar icons to the middle of the task bar, something noine asked for, and then made it only work on some hardware for"securoty reasons." Well, that was fine, modders will make fixes for all that and we can move on with our lives

BUT NOOOOOOO, now they have to release windows 12 that will likely work more akin to a phone OS with an APP store and they'll get everyone to migrate to it by stopping security updates of the old OS and create a new version of DirectX that only works on windows 12 to incentives less technically inclined gamers to migrate to it.

people forget that most of the problems with Vista were from people installing it on machines that weren't fast enough to run it and that their slow machines usually didn't have driver support for Vista. This problem was compounded by OEMs preinstalling Vista on machines with leftover hardware from the previous generation. You could buy a brand new Dell machine with Vista pre-installed but some or all of the hardware didn't have Vista drivers.

But with that out of the way, MICROSOFT NEEDS TO STOP MAKING MRW VERSIONS OF WINDOWS!!! Windows 7 was fine, but NOOOO, they had to make a tablet centric OS and came out with Windows 8. Then I think it took less than a year for them to retract nearly every feature of 8 amd release it as 8.1. Then they released 10 which everyone only thought was great because they had been roasting UI marshmallows over a dumpster fire filled with toxic waste for the last few years.

BUT NOOOOOOO, they just couldn't contain themselves. A few years after Windows 10 was out they had to start "updating" the UI to move settings around and make it difficult to do masic maintenance on. Still, that wasn't enough. They had to start collecting our user data on an OS that WE PAID FOR. Well, atleast this was the final version of windows so maybe we'll work around it.

BUT NOOOOOO, they had to release Windows 11, moved all the taskbar icons to the middle of the task bar, something noine asked for, and then made it only work on some hardware for"securoty reasons." Well, that was fine, modders will make fixes for all that and we can move on with our lives

BUT NOOOOOOO, now they have to release windows 12 that will likely work more akin to a phone OS with an APP store and they'll get everyone to migrate to it by stopping security updates of the old OS and create a new version of DirectX that only works on windows 12 to incentives less technically inclined gamers to migrate to it.
😂🤣😂 especially:
Then they released 10 which everyone only thought was great because they had been roasting UI marshmallows over a dumpster fire filled with toxic waste for the last few years.
That made my whole damn day.

If it is all about more AI and ability to run on both PC and phones, I do not want it. And honestly, what else could they offer?

But with that out of the way, MICROSOFT NEEDS TO STOP MAKING MRW VERSIONS OF WINDOWS!!!

The problem with OS's is that its a single purchase product (no monthly fee) with longevity....and your sellers market shrinks (since people aren't re-buying the same OS)... So they have to release a new OS every year to get the last wave of buyers that passed on the previous one...

The problem with OS's is that its a single purchase product (no monthly fee) with longevity....and your sellers market shrinks (since people aren't re-buying the same OS)... So they have to release a new OS every year to get the last wave of buyers that passed on the previous one...
The data they collect from you using it is more valuable than what they would get from the purchase of the OS from you at full price or from an OEM in bulk. It's why they offer you a free upgrade and how I haven't paid for a new version of windows since Windows 7.

If it gets to that, I'll continue using Windows 11 until it's no longer supported and then buy a Mac.

I don't care the price/cost of the OS, just would they would allow us to choose what era of GUI we would like to choose.

I hate the Windows OS now, it doesn't remember where OS windows were on the desktop or what size they were when u closed them... so that when you open them back up, they are exactly where you left them in the exact same size and placement.

Actually Win 11 is going in a great direction. No fixes needed. Bring on the great design MS.

As evidenced by Timy11's efforts, even when you strip Windows of all of its bloat and even the GUI, it performs surprisingly slow.

Win12's icon is telling me Microsoft -still- hasn't learned or fixed their ****

BUT NOOOOOOO, now they have to release windows 12 that will likely work more akin to a phone OS with an APP store

I said in another article that I somewhat believe that Windows may in ther near future become subscription based with tiers so DirectX for games would be in a "gamer tier"... I also think that Microsoft will block installation of apps on Windows so every app will have to be installed via an App Store, be it Windows Store or on the corporate world thru managed local stores provided by the companies running Windows server service for it, something like a "Windows Corporate App Store" server service with a verification/validation/whatever lock.

That would make Microsoft wet dreams come to life... An walled garden ecosystem just like apple OSes.

And for everybody talking about staying on Windows 10/11 whatever version remember that making apps/games that only install on Windows 12+ and are only compatible with those are just a matter o Microsoft willing to do so, be it thru drivers support, DirectX next version only working thru subscription and make every single newer game only work on online validated subscribed DirectX license... So don't be naive, every big tech can stir the direction on how we use our devices, but like a giant tanker ship, they stir it slowly so we won't complain (too much).

Than we talk about using Linuxes... Sure it would work for every FOSS apps and games... But again Microsoft can wallgarden every relevant new app/game making it only working on online validated subscription based Windows OSes when installing thru Windows Store, also because no app/game developer would like to stay out of a BIG app store that could make it's app/game be reachable for a bigger audience that translates to more sells (... our subscription to that app), even paying the app store fee.

The only thing that separate us from this world is legislation in place from the likes of EU that try to keep consumer rights... But there's no law that can somehow/some day be changed with enought corporate "reasoning", state-corporations negotiations and a truckload of corporate money, making these consumer regulations change...

Then you say "I will vote with my wallet!!!" ... sure, Android and iOS on phones have already proved that a system like this works great for mobile apps, so it's just a matter of time to desktop/laptop OSes copy that bussiness model... Don't tell me that you will keep playing our present games in 5/10 years from now and miss some newer game that you would love to play...

Steam and mobile apps stores can show you perfectly what it would look like, just like Diablo 3. Diablo 3 made a lot of ruckus with it online-only mode, but in the end it was a commercial success...

So that's it boys. The future is subscription based.

Last edited:
I said in another article that I somewhat believe that Windows may in ther near future become subscription based with tiers so DirectX for games would be in a "gamer tier"... I also think that Microsoft will block installation of apps on Windows so every app will have to be installed via an App Store, be it Windows Store or on the corporate world thru managed local stores provided by the companies running Windows server service for it, something like a "Windows Corporate App Store" server service with a verification/validation/whatever lock.

That would make Microsoft wet dreams come to life... An walled garden ecosystem just like apple OSes.

And for everybody talking about staying on Windows 10/11 whatever version remember that making apps/games that only install on Windows 12+ and are only compatible with those are just a matter o Microsoft willing to do so, be it thru drivers support, DirectX next version only working thru subscription and make every single newer game only work on online validated subscribed DirectX license... So don't be naive, every big tech can stir the direction on how we use our devices, but like a giant tanker ship, they stir it slowly so we won't complain (too much).

Than we talk about using Linuxes... Sure it would work for every FOSS apps and games... But again Microsoft can wallgarden every relevant new app/game making it only working on online validated subscription based Windows OSes when installing thru Windows Store, also because no app/game developer would like to stay out of a BIG app store that could make it's app/game be reachable for a bigger audience that translates to more sells (... our subscription to that app), even paying the app store fee.

The only thing that separate us from this world is legislation in place from the likes of EU that try to keep consumer rights... But there's no law that can somehow/some day be changed with enought corporate "reasoning", state-corporations negotiations and a truckload of corporate money, making these consumer regulations change...

Then you say "I will vote with my wallet!!!" ... sure, Android and iOS on phones have already proved that a system like this works great for mobile apps, so it's just a matter of time to desktop/laptop OSes copy that bussiness model... Don't tell me that you will keep playing our present games in 5/10 years from now and miss some newer game that you would love to play...

Steam and mobile apps stores can show you perfectly what it would look like, just like Diablo 3. Diablo 3 made a lot of ruckus with it online-only mode, but in the end it was a commercial success...

So that's it boys. The future is subscription based.
Well, the last new game I played was Baulders Gate 3 and I played that on Linux. I've been dealing with Microsofts **** for what feels like a few decades but realistically, is more like 10 years. I switched to Linux in 2019 and have been dailying it since 2021. **** MS, I'm tired of their ****. And if they're going to start trying to turn desktops into phones then corporations(their targets customer) will switch to Linux. Valve/Steam started it buy investing literally tens of millions of dollars a year into Linux gaming compatability. Ms's strong hold on the OS and gaming market is a lot softer than they would have you would believe

I don't care the price/cost of the OS, just would they would allow us to choose what era of GUI we would like to choose.

I hate the Windows OS now, it doesn't remember where OS windows were on the desktop or what size they were when u closed them... so that when you open them back up, they are exactly where you left them in the exact same size and placement.
That's a you problem. The most simple way to reset that is to open one window, right click taskbar, select cascade window, close the opened window and done. Next time you open any window it will remember its location and size.

I said in another article that I somewhat believe that Windows may in ther near future become subscription based with tiers so DirectX for games would be in a "gamer tier"... I also think that Microsoft will block installation of apps on Windows so every app will have to be installed via an App Store, be it Windows Store or on the corporate world thru managed local stores provided by the companies running Windows server service for it, something like a "Windows Corporate App Store" server service with a verification/validation/whatever lock

This has already happened. I've been using a freeware photo editing app for years without issue. When you try installing the previous non-store version with Windows Security enabled, Windows blocks it as malicious software and prevents you from installing it. The app store "pro" version, the one that comes with all the features locked behind paywalls, passes with flying colors. When I disable Windows Security and let my antivirus handle things, the older version of the game downloads and installs fine.

Windows also has arbitrarily disabled older programs for no reason. Games like the very first Sims would have no problems running if Microsoft hadn't installed updates specifically designed to cripple them. It crippled it first in Windows 7. When players figured out how to uninstall the specific update, Microsoft then crippled it altogether in 10.

What the hell is wrong with Microsoft?

OS's aren't ****ing mobile phones where you just "upgrade" or "swap" that **** out every other damn year!

Win11 is my last stop and thank goodness Valve is making progress with proton. Microsoft is too busy trying to be everyone else while not even thinking about supporting thier current version for longer than some **** comes along and catches their attention, its like they have ADHD and have to have everything thats hot and poppin.

That's a you problem. The most simple way to reset that is to open one window, right click taskbar, select cascade window, close the opened window and done. Next time you open any window it will remember its location and size.
That is how it use to work^
I have not found a way to turn it off in Windows11 Pro. Cascading on/off is removed..!

It's coming, It's coming
It's here - have no fear
Stay by his side and he'll take you for a ride
It's coming, it's coming
It's here - have no fear
Nanadella is back, Twelver is here.

Last edited:
Where is this "Win 11 is the last version of windows" or should it been 10 ? I forgot their BS

Clippy begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. But it's too late, we are all data-harvested ruthlessly for the next millennia.

Anyone can shut off Widgets & shift the taskbar icons to the left. So stop the belly aching.. it's boring.

Back