Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

tashun

My sister in law found an old processor that's running Windows 2000.I can't find any firewall settings,and also is there any protection that Microsoft offers for that OS still?

Nope, you'll have to find a 3rd party solution. Damn near anything that works on XP will work on 2k though. XP didn't have built in firewall until SP2 I believe.

You can get Service Packs and Rollups and the such, I'd recommend getting and backing them up somewhere as 2000's service span is in the out door July 13th this year. Nothing new is made though and Windows Firewall wasn't made until SP2 of Windows XP.

Speaking of, there is a damn good chance that since the thing can run 2000, it can do XP. No guarantees though, some of the Windows 2000 era hardware is just... stuck in the era.

2000 SP4 is fine if you just use 3rd party firewall/av. Its a rock solid OS, and even though MS won't support it anymore it doesn't mean its no good, and how often do we actually call MS with a problem?

You will stop getting updates/patches after they quit supporting, but if you use a browser other than IE, mail other than Outlook, use an AV and a Firewall you should be pretty safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back