Windows 7 64bit Memory worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

Hey There,

I recently got new hardware and in the process of trying to fix some issues it brought i think i've screwed my XP install up. I figure this is a good time to install Windows 7 however i just wanted to confirm something

Basically what version to go for. I know the performance differences and how 64bit can use more memory, however after looking online i see everyone saying that a realistic minimum of memory would be 4GB. I'm currently at 3GB, i intend to purchase another DDR3 kit in the future to bump it up to 6GB however i dont fancy dealing with memory issues until then due to 64bit dragging its heels with my memory. I didnt think it would be too much of an issue but thought i'd best check just to be safe

My specs are in my sig

Thanks!

All I can say is go for it add more later if you need too. I thought the same thing but was fine i would go W7 pro ,Home is OK ,I went with the pro. Good Luck

About the ram, well I'm not completely sure with 7 but I know that 3gb of ddr2 800 did fine for me with vista 64, and I would think 7 would use less ram than vista. Back then I could play games like company of heroes, crysis, UT3, and mass effect without filling the memory completely. The biggest issue I can think of is that if you open as many tabs as I do in firefox or whatever browser you use (my record is 232 tabs open in firefox) you might have to close your browser before playing any games that use a lot of memory but with the specs in your signature I doubt you would see any noticeable hits in performance unless angry bees steal your components and replace them with muffins while your sleeping.

Then again I'm a fool compared to everyone else on this forum so wait for them to reply, yo.

I cant help you with recommending a version of 7 either.

Thanks for the quick replys guys!

Itll have to be pro, getting it off my work you see, just wasnt sure what bit but now i am. 64bit sounds a nice safe bet, just wanted to make sure it ouldnt self destruct or something. Thanks for the confirmation guys

Haha i can imagine waking up and seeing my heatsink replaced with a muffin :D In some ways, it would be a nice surprise!

You'll be fine with 7 and 3 gigs. 64bit 7 shouldn't act any different than 32bit with 3 gigs.

I've got 7 64bit on my aging C2D system (E6400) with 3 gigs and it runs great.

I fired on 64bit today and its running like a charm. Everythings just...working! Nice and quick too, just hope it keeps up

I intend to buy another 3GB perhaps around christmas, that should keep me good for a while. Thanks again for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back