Windows 7 can't 'see' Canon printer

I've been trying (via Skype and TeamViewer) to help my parents install a Canon MP495 printer to their Windows 7 machine. Except we can't seem to get past the first hurdle; namely to get the Windows to see the printer via USB or even on the wireless network (it is a wifi-capable printer but insists on being installed via USB).

I've even tried sending them a powered USB hub to try as an alternative to the native USB slots but to no avail.

I'm running out of ideas fast. Is there anything else we can try? (apart from sending the printer back to the shop)

Many thanks in advance.

Have you tried installing via the printer's driver CD? Missing drivers may cause it not to recognise it.

We downloaded the latest drivers from Canon but they can't progress beyond the 'Turn printer on, let machine detect printer' stage.

Make sure the printer's power cable is properly plugged in, the printer's power indicator has lighted up to show A-OK, and the LPT port has not been disabled in the BIOS.

Make sure the printer's power cable is properly plugged in, the printer's power indicator has lighted up to show A-OK, and the LPT port has not been disabled in the BIOS.

All taken care of and yet the problem persists -- Windows 7 simply doesn't see the printer. (My own installation of Windows 7 has no problem seeing the exact same Canon, although not the same printer itself)

Hmm...could be that particular printer is faulty (assuming the version of Windows 7 & Updates is the same). Did the printer connect earlier, or this problem developed recently?

Windows has never seen the printer, not once. It doesn't even go through the familiar dance of trying to find drivers, as you'd expect when a new USB device is plugged in.

Odd...maybe you should request a senior around here to help you out with it. But IMHO, if it's still in the warranty period (which I assume it is), you should contact the vendor about it, or hit the customer-support helpline.

Odd...maybe you should request a senior around here to help you out with it. But IMHO, if it's still in the warranty period (which I assume it is), you should contact the vendor about it, or hit the customer-support helpline.

Thanks for your time anyway. Have a good day.

Back