Windows 7 Computer Stuck At Shutdown Screen

Chigusa

I apologize if this isn't the place to post this, but I didn't know where else this could go.

3 days ago my computer suffered a hard shut down due to a loss of power. Since then, my computer has been unable to shut down without me holding down the power key. I have done a clean boot, scoured the internet for any answer to my problem, attempted suggestions offered with no change, and am sadly at a loss at what I can further do. Any insight and/or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Nobody can help you until you supply details about which OS version, SP level and hardware you are using, plus any messages you see at shutdown or startup, and indeed anything that appears in event log. Also useful is what you have tried so far e.g. disk cleanup etc

I apologize for the delay in my response, I have not been able to get to my computer until now.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (6.1, Build 7601)
System Manufacturer: Home Built
System Model: Home Built
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/23/12 Version 9.04
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570k CPU: 3.4GHz
Memory: 8192 MB RAM
Direct X 11 used
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 660

I sadly cannot give a service pack, for I do not see one listed on my diagnostic tool. I see no messages when I attempt to shut down my computer. Everything appears normal right up until I use the restart or shutdown option. The only options before me have been virus scans using Malware Bytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials. Both have yielding no viruses in their scans. I have looked around the internet for others who have had similar issues, but none with exactly my issues. Not wishing to damage my computer further with using what others had in similar but not exact issues, I halted all progress on repairing the issue.

To add, the only things that have appeared in my event log are the critical errors on where I cannot shut down my computer normally. The same also for the day the power outage occurred. Nothing before that. They all share the Event ID 41,

I would suspect after a power outage your disk may have some corruption which stops it behaving normally on shutdown request. It would be a good idea to run chkdsk. Can I assume you know how to get to the tools tab of disk properties on the C: drive?

Then click the 'check now' button and clear both options so it will run right away and tell you immediately if there are problems or not.

If there are, you can then run chkdsk /r to attempt corrections, and maybe chkdsk /f if things look really bad. /f can take maybe hours. In both cases you will have to start from a recovery bootup command line, and again you might know how to do that. If not we'll carry on after you report back.

Second thing is to run Disk Cleanup. You do that by pressing windows key and just typing disk in the search box, select Disk Cleanup. But what we see in there can change quite a lot depending upon what sort of files are left over, so just do that without cleaning anything the first time, and can you list what each line says and the space reported ?
For example
Downloaded program files 0 bytes
Temporary Internet files 1.49Mb
and so on........it's the unusual ones I want to know about.

Thirdly, download and run CCleaner without actually doing anything (so it's safe) it would be good to do the registry checks (one by one, not all at once). There is a single button for Registry cleaning. report back any unusual errors discovered

Fourthly, (from the internet)
run cmd.exe (as a admin)
type the following command:
powercfg.exe /energy
it will generate a report that you can view in notepad. The report will indicated why the system did not shutdown. Services like a shared media player can block the computer from sleeping.

Fifthly, try http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-will-not-shut-down

BTW just press windows key and type winver to discover your OS SP status.

At this moment, chkdsk is stuck. It finished its scan and has not restarted. I have been unable to complete the rest of the tasks. I apologize. Should I force it to shutdown or leave it alone?

Never mind, it blue screened for an 1/8th of a second, started up, Windows loaded, now faced with a black screen

I apologize for the lack of any sort of detailed information but, it's now not allowing me to to do anything else but chkdsk. It refuses to even run the OS without scanning. The end of the scan results in a blue screen after waiting for a few minutes to an hour before repeating the cycle.

Your best bet would be to reformat and do a fresh install of your system. If you are able to and have a disk of your Os. I have had this happen in the past with windows after a power outage. Running a scan disk and so forth got me know where. After two days of trying. I gave up and reinstalled windows.

Yes, sometimes a power outage is fatal to the OS. I also suggest your hardware will need a full test. First off (counter-intuitively) is check the bios is showing what it should - especially the date and time. One way to hardware tests is use another PC to create a bootable CD of a portable Linux, including test programs for HDD and memory at least.

Oh, and dont ever forget to create a full drive image to removable media immediately after everything is working well, and every month thereafter !!!

Back