Windows 7 DVD won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiedude

Hi All

I've just purchased an OEM copy of win7 pro 64bit and a new WD 500gb HDD for my laptop and I can't for the life of me get the laptop to boot from the windows DVD! All i get is a message saying no operating system found. I've set the DVD drive as 1st in boot priority but nothing. I was expecting a message saying "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" but it never comes up, any ideas?

I've tried launching the win7 DVD from within Windows XP and it opens fine (gives options for viewing compatibility list and installing). However, i want to install on the new 500gb drive not the current one with XP on it??

Is my only option to get a copy of Win7 OPK to install this properly?

FYI

Laptop spec (Samsung X65):

Core2Duo 7300
4gig RAM
WD 500gb HDD (currently 160gb)
GeForce 8600GS

Copy purchased http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._ya_oh_product

Currently running XP pro 64bit with no problems at all (other than the odd random driver missing!). I understand Microsoft have changed their licensing for OEM software (particularly W7) but I've also know people have tried this and it worked without any problems!?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Make a bootable USB stick from it? http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

The instructions talk about needing an ISO file of Win 7, but if you have the physical disk it may still work, I don't know because I haven't tried it.
Thanks, but that tool is simply for copying an ISO of Win 7 to a bootable medium and then installing it from within windows. For that to work for me I'd have to create an image of my win 7 disc and re-burn it to a blank DVD.

Or use a virtual disk. It might have to be the specific ISO from Microsoft rather than a home built one... but I'm just saying you can make an iso and mount it without actually wasting a disk.

Or use a virtual disk. It might have to be the specific ISO from Microsoft rather than a home built one... but I'm just saying you can make an iso and mount it without actually wasting a disk.
But then I'd have to buy a downloadable version of Win 7 from Microsoft wouldn't I? Or would I be able to create an ISO image of the OEM disc I have? I'd still need to run this from within windows wouldn't I?

Thanks for all the advice guys, ended up just installing a copy of Vista and then running the Win 7 disc from within windows and doing a clean install. Took a couple of hours but I was watching the footy & rugby anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back