Windows 7 error 'this is not a genuine copy of Windows 7'

Conger88

Hi, I am getting this error in the bottom right hand corner ov my screen.... now I have done some searching a read some other peoples similar posts but they dont seem to say how there computers performance has dropped. My computer is so slow now everything takes 5 mins after clicking to load.

It also is a full genuine windows 7 as I bought the computer in PC world. Could someone point me in the right direction to fix. instead ov having to bring it to the shop to get fixed.?

Have you scan it for virus and malware? If not I would download Malware Bytes Anti Malware Program and run a scan. Also run a virus scan and a good temp file cleaner. See if this helps out.

Yes I have ran CCleaner, Malaware bytes, AVG full computer scan, and currently running a disk defrag... its taking ages tho. what would be a good temp file cleaner? Also my C:/ ard drive is nearly full and showing red...500gb would this effect ccomputer performance?

Also I think my computer started to get slow after I accidently knocked the power cable a few times wilest the computer was runnig. I think (not 100% sure) this is when it started to get slow. could be wrong. any other suggestions?

I think I hve fixed the original error message in the bottom corner that used to appear. the Windows 7 error 'this is not a genuine copy of Windows 7'

Get a command prompt and run CLEANMGR

after than, find your CD and enter SFC /SCANNOW

OK I have alread done step one.

And I dont have a cd for my computer. I dont think I was given a windows 7 disk when buying my computer( from pc world)

Ive got a program to remove this certain problem but its best if u reinstall windows from beggining ur definatly under a virus taint

Yes reinstalling will mean loosing all your personal files and folders. You could try the malware and virus forum here if you don't want to loose your personal stuff.

Yea I kinda put that as my last option. I would rather just fix it directly without wipeing everything if possible...like only a few weeks back my computer was running fine

Ok I brought my computer to the computer shop to get 'fixed' and he says my hard drive is corrupt/damaged or w/e.

I asked what action should I take goin forward and he recomends me buyin a new hard drive. :( I said what if I wipe all the data and start from scratch again, he says no guarantee if that will fix it.

So I dunno what I should do now. And it cost 25 euro just for him to tell me that :/

Bummer....So im thinkin I should give wipein the hard drive and trying that before I buy a new hard drive?

Can not hurt to try reformatting and reinstalling your OS. It sounded more like you have a virus then a hard drive problems. I would go with reformatting first. Make sure you back up anything you want to a dvd or a usb drive if possible. Either way you are going to have to start from scratch again. Good Luck.

Ok, firstly I dont have an original Windows 7 disk. Can I buy/borrow from a friend for this?

Secondly any good web guides/tutorials for reformatting as I havent done it before.

For future reference : in post #3 you posed two questions.
Could pulling the power lead out whilst the computer is running damage the hard drive ? Yes it can - not always, but quite often.
Does having a full HDD cause dramatic performance slow-down? Yes it will, most especially while doing defragmentation.

Both can occur together. Power drop-out damages the HDD, which then appears fuller than it really is because of damaged areas.

OK well the question I asked now would be - what would be the best approach next? Is my hard drive banjaxed?Should I buy a new one or is it fixable?

There are plentiful special HDD testers available for download. This http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ is a well-known one, and can do other makes as well as seagate. What these testers will do is identify bad areas of disk surface. Be warned, they can take several hours. Just start with minimal tests. If anything shows up, the number of problems discovered will likely leave you in no doubt one way or the other.
Will it 'fix' problems? Well tests like this will mark areas as 'bad' and there will be no further efforts by the HDD to use those areas, so provided there are very few, this would effectively be a fix.
If it comes to a need to replace a HDD, it is not expensive, nor very difficult. There is software available to 'clone' a drive - you attach the new drive on a second channel and running the software results in an exact copy, so you then just swap the new drive for the old, and all done. On the other hand, a badly damaged drive will not copy very well, of course, so sometimes it comes down to a reinstall instead, followed by copying what you can from the old drive. Best of luck.

Ughh....sounds a little confusing... My computer is so slow that it will take me quite some time to navigate to that link, download the file, install and run alone. But I will give it a go before I buy a new hard drive,which im guessin will be what I will have to do in the end. Im gonna have to copy windows 7 and my key before I get the new hard drive aswel. Havent done this befre but I will give it a go.

OK Re-posting here, I have now a proper windows 7 Home Premuium OS disk from a friend and im a bit weary about reformating everything. I never created a windows recovery disk the first time I bought the computer - stupid I know.

But will reinstalling my friends windows 7 disk get me back to everything defaulted? Will everything work?

Like my usb devices have been unrecgonisable on my computer for as far back as I remember havenig the PC. Im really curiious as to if this will fix it. Let me know before I go ahead with re-installing if theres anythin I need to backup thats important.

It should solve your usb devices problem . If your USB ports are not bad. You may need to find your drivers for your sound and video and so forth. If this is a retail computer you maybe able to go to its website and down load the drivers you need. If not you will have to go to your each of your computers devices that need drivers web site. Or download a third party driver tool.

Yea I have a different graphics card and sound card installed that didnt come with the pc. Assumeing I will have to download all these after. any recomended third party driver tools?

Im at work now will try to reinstall windows later. Hope I dont mess it up too much. Are all device drivers downloadable?

Back