Windows 7 - failed to connect to a windows service error message on start up

I installed windows 7 professional about 2 months ago and last week i had this error message come up when i try to boot up:

"failed to connect to a windows service. windows could not connect to the system event notification service service. this problem prevents standard users from logging on to th system. as an administrator user you can review the system event log for details about why the service didn't respond". as the computer is starting up it is VERY slow to do so.

When this message comes up the areo effect and transparency is disabled and if i click on the sheild to fix it the problem cannot be fixed.otherwise i can use the computer as normal.

if i re-boot sometimes the problem is resolved - but not always. if i shut down when this happens the system crashes and is unable to shut down normally - so have to reset manually.

I am the only user on this computer and there are no other users. i tried a software 'advanced care system' version 3.7.2 to clean up my system and this didn't work.

i've tried typing in cmd.prompt in safe mode : netsh winsock reset catalog. my com & event services are on automatic.

i tried uninstalling some updates but this didn't work.

Any suggestions to fix this problem? TIA :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please check your system's Event Viewer Logs, that may provide with some clues as to what may be causing this. You can find Event Viewer in Control Panel, Administrative Tools. Regards

i had a look, but i can't seem to see anything obvious but i don't really know what i'm looking for any pointers in the right direction. TIA

Back