Windows 7 Freezes Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadbluescreener

Hello. I have a MSI GX630 notebook and recently I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate. It was working fine for a long time, until the freezing problem occurred for the first time. I was clicking on the network icon in order to look for a wireless network and the computer just froze and would accept no input, no keystrokes, no Ctrl-Alt-Del, no mouse clicks. The cursor was frozen in the pointer form tho I could still move it around the screen but that was all. The computer stayed frozen, it didn't restart or blue screen, it just stayed there until I did a forced shutdown.

Also I've realised that since this problem has started up, that when I boot the machine at certain times Disk Check runs and usually I should be able to cancel Disk Check by pressing any key within the time given but when I press keys nothing happens and so the Disk Check has to run and this happens very frequently.

I checked Event Viewer to see if any errors were there and found a Kernel-power error saying something about the unexpected shutdown, I guess that was my forced shutdown and I also saw an NTFS error saying that the C: drive was corrupt. I have two partitions and they both run Windows 7 for testing purposes, and this freezing problem has happened on both OSs so I'm thinking it's some hardware related problem, because I also had trouble with Vista hence my name here.

Is there anyone here who can explain why this is happening and offer some advice please?

Specs:
AMD Athlon X2 QL-62 2.0GHz
250GB Hard Drive
4GB RAM
nVidia 9600m GT 512MB

I repair computers for a living... do you? From your hardware list and post of symptoms, I would replace the power supply first

I've heard of similar problems with brand-new computers, but there is a good chance of it being the PSU. Some symptoms point to drivers, others point to the hard drive and some are just bugs so it's tough to say what is actually happening. I would agree w/ TM on looking into swapping the power supply as a first step though, and no, power supplies don't just cause loss of power. In some cases, they are even directly to blame for blue screens.

Relax TMagic, I'm just asking for an explanation. I'm not saying you're wrong. And no, no I don't repair computers. Thanks for the help.

To help a bit with the explanation, sometimes when a PSU is failing it supplies less voltage than it should at random intervals - now while PC's are surpringly reslient to fluctuating voltage, if it dips below a certain point then one or other component (e.g. RAM) just doesn't get enough leading to a 'micro dip' (sort of like when lightbulbs in the house dim when the power fluctuates) and then everything behaves weirdly. Good Luck.

I brought my machine to a professional and so far they've found that the GPU is the cause for the freezing. As I mentioned earlier, it's a nVidia 9600m GT and according to the technician it's damaged. Is there any real solution to such a problem?

OK you guys are all drunk and stuck in a think tank with no mediator..
Maybe the problem lies is the windows o.s unable to delete temp. files and dumps and other memory issues you may be unaware of... Did you know, I used a third-party memory cleaner that found 1200 files that windows 7 said it wiped out? If you look hard, it all points to memory..
I am not a commercial, but crap cleaner saved me from new motherboard, chips, ram, calling my mom, paying a over-sized jack-*** to **** my wife to fix a memory stick...-believe!

hey guy, try my suggested fix before you replace anything.. get the free d/l from filehippo.com then, you may have a real problem...

windows freezes

you got it right, use those two programs frequently, i use photo-shop for large files and do lots of video burning and windows 7 with nvidia g-force and even still, it will freeze alot, its all in the memory! listen to tmagic650 before replacing anything and spending money..its crazy enough to maybe work

hello again all. it has been awhile. i've found out that the freezing problem was due to the graphics card overheating and ceasing to work. the 9600m GT GPU is probably defective, but now I'm looking for any methods outside of cooling that would help to remedy this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back