WINDOWS 7: Program Files Designation

Hikermann

PC / Windows 7:
1. Why does my C:\Program Files list one merely as "Program Files" and another as "Program Files (86)"? What is the difference? Do they both need to exist in my system?
2. How do I determine if my system is 32-bit or 64-bit? Why should it be one or the other?
Appreciate your help.

Program files is for 64 bit programs. Program files x86 is for 32 bit programs.

Your system is probably 64 bit if it's less than 10 years old.

1. Do they both need to exist in my system?
2. How do I determine if my system is 32-bit
1 = YES
  • 2. Press Windows key + R to open “Run”
  • Enter cmd -click OK to open Windows Command Prompt
  • Type wmic os get osarchitecture -and hit Enter

Should Return
OSArchitecture
xx -bit

PC / Windows 7:
1. Why does my C:\Program Files list one merely as "Program Files" and another as "Program Files (86)"? What is the difference? Do they both need to exist in my system?
2. How do I determine if my system is 32-bit or 64-bit? Why should it be one or the other?
Appreciate your help.
If your system is 64 bit, you will have two (2) program folders. Thus:
Program files <(64 bit)
Program files (x86) <(32 bit)
32 bit will have but one. Thus
Program files (Note there will be no "x86 mention)..

1 = YES
  • 2. Press Windows key + R to open “Run”
  • Enter cmd -click OK to open Windows Command Prompt
  • Type wmic os get osarchitecture -and hit Enter

Should Return
OSArchitecture
xx -bit
OK, I don't like the idea of command prompt. It's a PITA.

We Luddites use a much more primitive methodology..

Start (Windows key) > Control Panel > System

That'll tell you everything you need to know about your system.

While he's there he can play with the "Windows Experience Index".

Last edited:
OK, I don't like the idea of command prompt. It's a PITA.

We Luddites use a much more primitive methodology..

Start (Windows key) > Control Panel > System

That'll tell you everything you need to know about your system.

While he's there he can play with the "Windows Experience Index".

I'm glad you saw that, the top of the list 'Win 7' didn't catch my eye. I remember Windows Experience it used to be fun at parties!!

I'm glad you saw that, the top of the list 'Win 7' didn't catch my eye. I remember Windows Experience it used to be fun at parties!!
Wow, if you have to use command line to access your system info, M$ really is trying to wrest any and all control over the system from mainstream users.

And just think, they're about to drop another, more restrictive turd. on Tuesday. :poop: :scream:

I honestly wish they would revoke this a**hole running the company's H-1B visa. The world would be a better place for it.

And speaking of things, "that used to be fun", now,gone but not forgotten, Windows Media Center, and it's program guide on Windows 7.

All you had to do was set the system clock correctly, and "wha-la", instant and more importantly, free, DVR.

Wow, if you have to use command line to access your system info, M$ really is trying to wrest any and all control over the system from mainstream users.
It can be gotten through the normal settings app, just seems faster to toss up a command prompt.

And just think, they're about to drop another, more restrictive turd. on Tuesday. :poop: :scream:
Tuesday will be Disney World watching a clown show.
I like doing Windows installs they usually do fine.

I honestly wish they would revoke this a**hole running the company's H-1B visa. The world would be a better place for it.
More Fashin' Model Melania's coming aboard. our visa program is wretched, currently about 85k a year.

And speaking of things, "that used to be fun", now,gone but not forgotten, Windows Media Center, and it's program guide on Windows 7.

All you had to do was set the system clock correctly, and "wha-la", instant and more importantly, free, DVR.
Have you seen Device Manager change when doing a region change, you get > "Five more changes" for a DVD player. When it's reset you get "five more changes".
Free DVD! 😆

It can be gotten through the normal settings app, just seems faster to toss up a command prompt.
For you it most likely is. But here we're dealing with a novice who doesn't know the difference between x86 and x86-64
Tuesday will be Disney World watching a clown show.
I like doing Windows installs they usually do fine.
Indeed. All you need is a bucket of popcorn and TPM 2.0.

We Luddites still install from DVD, and keep a spare activated C:/ drive handy in case of emergency
More Fashin' Model Melania's coming aboard. our visa program is wretched, currently about 85k a year.
You mean another invasion of trollops with exotic accents are coming?
Have you seen Device Manager change when doing a region change, you get > "Five more changes" for a DVD player. When it's reset you get "five more changes".
Free DVD! 😆
I have an ancient Philips free standing DVD player which is region free. I think many DVD drives are region free as well. Same net result.

It's those stinking Blu-ray drives that are a problem.

Please refer to my "adventures in ripping" (shh ;)) my somewhat off topic posts in this thread:

Last edited:
For you it most likely is. But here we're dealing with a novice who doesn't know the difference between x86 and x86-64
I think some questioners do come back, if they get email about a reply, a good answer is here.

Indeed. All you need is a bucket of popcorn and TPM 2.0.

We Luddites still install from DVD, and keep a spare activated C:/ drive handy in case of emergency

You mean another invasion or trollops with exotic accents are coming?
Never stopped! They're free styling the ocean once they get fees paid.

I have an ancient Philips free standing DVD player which is region free. I think many DVD drives are region free as well. Same net result.

It's those stinking Blu-ray drives that are a problem.

Please refer to my "adventures in ripping" (shh ;)),off topic posts in this thread:

It's alright we're having a little AOL chatroom flashback!

Back