Over 60% of PC users don't know about Windows 11

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! We’re less than one week away from the official release of Windows 11, so how excited is the general PC-using public about the latest operating system’s arrival? Not very, according to a new survey. Around six out of every ten respondents (62%) had no idea Windows 11 was almost here, and 59% said they either weren’t sure if they’ll upgrade or plan on sticking with their current OS.

The survey, carried out by Savings.com, asked 1,042 current Windows users about Windows 11 to gauge awareness and excitement. Microsoft probably won’t be happy to learn that only 38% of those who took part admitted to knowing it was due to be released. Older users were more aware of its impending arrival: just 28% of those between 18 and 24 knew it would land soon, whereas 56% of those over 55 knew it was coming.

Of that minority of people who know about Windows 11, only 41% said they are planning on upgrading. Fourteen percent said they would not upgrade, and 45% remain unsure.

We all know the farcical situation surrounding Windows 11 compatibility issues, especially when it comes to TPM 2.0, which Microsoft confirmed is require in all Windows 11 machines, even virtual ones. CPU-wise, support reaches back to Intel’s 8th-generations processors, some 7th-gen models, and AMD processors dating to the second-generation Ryzen chips.

Compatibility issues mean that two out of three respondents were unsure if their PCs would be able to run the next Microsoft OS (without workarounds). Thankfully, the Redmond firm recently relaunched its Windows 11 compatibility tool so people will know for certain if their machines can handle it.

Delving into Windows 11’s abilities, the survey asked what people thought would be its most exciting feature. The most popular answer, given by 38% of people, was “not sure,” which again is not what Microsoft wants to hear. This was followed by the ability to run Android apps (14%), new appearance (13%), game-boosting abilities (13%), and additional security features (11%).

Microsoft hasn’t been advertising Windows 11 very heavily in the run-up to its official roll-out on October 5, certainly not in the way it did with Windows 95, Windows 7, Windows 10, etc. In the latter case, it finally reached Microsoft’s target of one billion active devices last year. With Windows 11 being incompatible on so many machines, one must wonder how long it will take the new OS to get even close to that number.

Windows 11 has been available in several different versions to those on the Windows Insider program for a while now. The free upgrade will begin rolling out to eligible Windows 10 PCs on October 5, and PCs that come pre-loaded with Windows 11 will be available to buy on the same date.

In other surprising survey results this week, it turns out that many students don’t know what PC files and folders are.

Permalink to story.

I do not believe this survey. I know too many older people around who cannot even tell what OS they have at the moment, never mind some new OS out there. My impression that in actuality only 20% at best would be aware of the Windows 11 update.

I just put together a PC out of old components I have through the house and installed Linux on it. It's not running great, it takes a while to boot, sometimes it errors out, I don't have hardware acceleration enabled on it, the monitor only works at 60 hertz and the interface looks tiny on a 1440p screen. Hopefully in a few weeks I can solve all these issues.

I haven't tested sound on it yet. But surely 1440p and 4K Youtube videos use 80%-100% of the CPU (4-core Q9400 CPU).

This is not a Windows-is-great or a Linux-is-great post; I'm just stating some facts from my current experience.

WTF?! We’re less than one week away from the official release of Windows 11, so how excited is the general PC-using public about the latest operating system’s arrival?
UNQUOTE

Excitement level=zero

P.S.: Won't install b4 2025 when they will stop supporting Win 10.

I was a Windows 10 fan when the beta hit the web, but as time goes and updates/packs arrived and brought more and more problems, more bloatware, more changing your registry, default app every major update ... I changed my mind ... I do not like Windows 10 and I could not care less for Windows 11.
If you are not a gamer, I wonder why you are still using Windows? Why are you wasting your time and nerves?

My wife knows because of me. She never updates anything on her computer. I have to set up the updates to automatic for her; and some drivers I have to update them manually.

But there are worse cases. I asked a female friend about what version of Windows she was using on her desktop computer, and she told me that she wasn't using Windows but Word (no jokes).

So, I am not surprised about this news regarding Windows 11.

Last edited:
I do not believe this survey. I know too many older people around who cannot even tell what OS they have at the moment, never mind some new OS out there. My impression that in actuality only 20% at best would be aware of the Windows 11 update.
I know young women too knowing nothing about their computers. Men, according to my experience, tend to know more about these topics.

Last edited:
I was a Windows 10 fan when the beta hit the web, but as time goes and updates/packs arrived and brought more and more problems, more bloatware, more changing your registry, default app every major update ... I changed my mind ... I do not like Windows 10 and I could not care less for Windows 11.
If you are not a gamer, I wonder why you are still using Windows? Why are you wasting your time and nerves?
To move to another operating system is not easy when you are serious about productivity. You need, very often, to change software you are very used to. And the format of the files can also change, which might create such a mess. It's not simple.

Yes but the most technically inept people wouldn't know they were on windows to even begin the survey.

I wonder out of that 60% how many have a rig old enough that doesn't meets TPM 2.0 requirements so regular people would go "Hmm, well you told me I want it but I can't have it? Do I need to upgrade my pc?"

Goes without saying Microsoft shouldn't be in the business of planned obsolescence and this is just stupid and nobody in their right mind should support TPM 2.0 as a hard requirement, unless you want all Windows based PC to become the inferior cousin of macbooks and imacs with all of the walled garden and none of the refinement and user friendliness.

I think it’s the opposite of farcical that Windows 11 has hardware requirements. Tech is always defined by the bottom line. This means everyone on Windows 11 will have at least a modern i3.

And I speak as someone on a 4790K. My CPU does not meet the hardware requirements that MS want. However I’m not going to be small minded and just hurl abuse at Ms or make up any complete garbage like “planned obsolescence”.

And to make this reasoning a step further, this has been the least-hyped OS release in decades.

Windows XP has a 6 month promotion period (announcement to consumer release was May-> October), while this thing was sneakily released 3 months beforehand (so businesses didn't have much time to see the sudden cut-back to "only 4 years of extended Support.")

They will learn, when thy have only 20% uptake after 3 years.

TPM 2.0 is required to ensure compliance with DRM, and to provide configuration and behavioral data to MSFT or any other entity, really. RIOT Games is already set up to ban cheating players via their TPM signature. While I applaud any effort to cut down on cheating, the fact that RIOT can ban a machine -- not an account or IP, a machine -- based solely on its TPM hash has further ranging concerns.

The rest of us will wait 3 months then upgrade . Wot Me worried !
and then forget about it .
Though the power users may worry --something about VM all needing to jump the same hoops .
Me I just hope their promises of a better File Explorer work out

Should be called Windows DRM Edition.
Speaking of DRM, I recently rented, "Black Widow", on DVD.

I have an LG Blu-ray drive, which was "resting in the closet". The DVD drive in my machine gave up the ghost, (Even the "paper in hole to open the drawer trick", wasn't enough to save it. With the Blu-ray drive in place, Windows Media Center refused to play the disc...."there is a conflict between the copy protection and WMC".

Point being, this is on Windows 7, and it can only get worse from here.

So, in spite of a closet full of DVD drives, in various states of "the drawer won't open without a paper clip", disrepair, I set out to buy a couple of new ones. Much to my surprise, I couldn't find but a couple at Newegg, at forty bucks a pop.

Once upon a time, you could buy them on sale for somewhere around 15 to 20 each, almost every other week.

There's a message here, you people that think you're "ahead of the curve", by going to all streaming, are being herded into paying through the nose for all that, "convenience"

Renting a DVD from Redbox is still only $1.85, To stream the same movie, is more than double..

Last edited:
Since, from my POV, because Windows 7 works like a charm..!
I know a lot of people that swear by Win7, but the support is dropping left and right, so they might be forced to "upgrade" when they encounter something is not working or stopped working.
I personally prefer Win10, even with its adware and update rubbish.

I really wonder, when the Proton gets the new release, if I will be able to run more than just a lot of games with no issues.

Back