Windows 7 services stopped in msconfig

Hodsocks

I am working on a laptop at the moment and am having some issues particularly getting on the internet. At the moment all the network adapters in Device Manager are marked with a yellow exclamation mark and device status tells me "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers for this device, (Code 31)
If I go into msconfig I see a lot of the Microsoft services are stopped. I have tried system restore but there are no restore points, tried sfc/scannow but no resolution.
I am sure I have come up against this before but can't remember how I resolved it, I suspect system restore.

Its been a while since I need your help so let me have your thoughts please.

I saw that and have tried most of the options, of course one major issue I have is that I can't do anything through the internet. I did download the wireless drivers on to a usb stick and install from that but it made no difference,. I did think of deleting all the network adapters and then rebooting the laptop but they won't delete, I can disable them but not delete them, which I find a little strange.

What OS are you running? You mentioned system restore. Have you tried that?
Can you use a Ethernet cable and get on the internet. Here's video using device manager to install the driver.

Stopped services can be reconfigured directly in MSCONFIG
  • in the General Tab, (*) enable Normal Startup
as for drivers:
  • you need the make/model of each device
  • and a USB thumb drive
On the thumb drive, create a folder for each device and then going to any other system, access the website for the vender and download the latest version for your system to the correct folder.

Now you can install drivers on your system when you get back home

I enabled normal startup but it made no difference to the problem, I did download the drivers from the manufacturers website onto a usb drive and installed them but again the error 31 persisted. This affects the full list under network adapters, of which there is about 12 items, obviously the wireless adapter and the Ethernet adapter is included in the list of devices, its strange that all of the devices show the error 31 problem and all can be disabled but not removed, have tried in normal mode and safe mode.

Services have 'dependencies' - - if Srvc-A is stopped and can not be started, then look into the dependencies and verify each can be started.

If you open the EventVwr and look at the System Log, you should find the Error 31. Copy the detail information and paste that as a follow-up

Hi Did you even read the link I posted?? Here's a quote from that Lifewire link. Have you considered malware? Just a thought. The key here IMHO is (Code 31 Error)
How to Fix a Code 31 Error
  1. Restart your computer if you haven't done so already. There is always the remote possibility that the Code 31 error you're seeing was caused by some temporary issue with Device Manager. If so, a simple reboot might fix the Code 31.
  1. Did you install a device or make a change in Device Manager just before the Code 31 error appeared? If so, it's possible that the change you made caused the Code 31 error. Undo the change if you can, restart your PC, and then check again for the Code 31 error. Depending on the changes you made, some solutions might include:
Delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values. A common cause of Code 31 errors is the corruption of two registry values in the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class registry key.

Last edited:
Hi. Here's my thinking about your issue. If you can't install the internet drivers and get on the internet; the PC is not worth much. IMHO the Code 31 Error is Key to all of this. If you can't solve that problem, maybe think about reinstalling W7 or going back to factory. Here's link to all the Windows ISO files. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/
Let us know how things go.;)

It would appear that the root cause is in the Network:
  • ID 31
  • Source
  • Version 3.0
  • Symbolic Name
  • Message DPM cannot browse <ServerName> because the host is unreachable.
Please post Eventvwr, System log details for verification.

Hi IDK? Here's the GUDI you would be looking for. This is how I understand the Lifewire fix for Code 31 Error
Net 4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 Network adapters
In the results that appear on the window on the right, locate the UpperFilters and LowerFilters
  1. In the results that appear on the window on the right, locate the UpperFilters and LowerFilters values.

Note: If you don't see either registry values listed, this solution isn't for you. Double check that you're looking at the correct device class but if you're sure you are, you'll have to try a different solution from our How to Fix Device Manager Error Codes guide.

Note: If you only see one or the other value, that's fine. Just complete Step 8 or Step 9 below.
  2. Right-click or tap-and-hold on UpperFilters and choose Delete.

Choose Yes to the "Deleting certain registry values could cause system instability. Are you sure you want to permanently delete this value?" question.

Repeat Step 8 with the LowerFilters value.

Here's Screen shot. I do not have UpperFilters or LowerFilters because I don't get a Code 31 Error;)(y) That's the best I can do for you. Let us know how things go.Capture25.JPG

Jobeard gave you the right solutions just not quite enough info though.
Go tro mfgr website and download all the motherboard drivers starting with the chipset driver followed by all network drivers wired and wireless as well as video and audio drivers....then install chipset driver first followed by the others.

Sorry guys, been busy on another pc, the answers regarding upper and lower filters is a red herring because my issue is with network adapters not cd/dvd drive. I have been into event viewer and system log and can't find any reference to error 41, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, my system log had about 56.000 entries.
Loading new drivers doesn't seem to help as they still have the error 31 showing.
Not sure if there is a link but I have noticed WMI doesn't appear to be working and as the win 7 is old I tried updating to SP1 a few times but everytime it fails.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, been busy on another pc, the answers regarding upper and lower filters is a red herring because my issue is with network adapters not cd/dvd drive. I have been into event viewer and system log and can't find any reference to error 41, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, my system log had about 56.000 entries.
Loading new drivers doesn't seem to help as they still have the error 31 showing.
Not sure if there is a link but I have noticed WMI doesn't appear to be working and as the win 7 is old I tried updating to SP1 a few times but everytime it fails.
That's why I suggested you redo the driver search and include more and get the right drivers in the right order.

I have to tell you that "rollup" is overrated. That can take days to complete longer than just running the Windows Update appelate

I have to tell you that "rollup" is overrated. That can take days to complete longer than just running the Windows Update appelate
Ok Thanks for your reply. Please explain so we can all learn new things here on techspot. ;) You are appreciated.

Here's one thing I want to say tonight, and It will probable cause me a lot of grief on TS. You will not intimate me, dominate me, or bully me here on techspot. What you see is what you get. I am who I am. I will listen to all your suggestions about how I can be a better member here on TS and welcome your suggestions. I can learn!:D
Let us know how things go!
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html
PS What you see is what you get. That's the only way I know.
Thanks techsport forum!
If I got this wrong, then please post your reply here on this thread.

Last edited:
The Thread was Code 31 Error. That's what I replied too. If I got it it wrong; I'm sorry. I do the best I can with what I have. ( actually I have very little) I think a clean install is the best thing for this issue. Too many problems. Lets start over :D

Last edited:
Doing the rollup at least gives you one thing to do vs downloading and installing 400 updates but there is more than one rollup to do with a clean install of Windows 7 and they take a long time to complete each one is what I was saying is all.

Back