Windows 7 x64 BSOD -- driver related... I think

Noodz

I upgraded my computer this weekend (basically replaced everything except the Hard Drive) and have been getting random BSOD's (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) since.
It happens at random times, sometimes after the computer has been on for hours, sometimes minutes. There doesn't seem to be a specific program that's causing this, it happens occasionally with games or browsing the web.

After applying my upgrades I had to boot with the Windows CD (Windows 7 64bit, the same as I was using before the upgrade) to do a repair install and get the computer booting up. All the Windows 7 updates have also been applied.

After the first BSOD I identified a bunch of obsolete drivers and uninstalled these, i've run Memtest86 (8 passes) and no errors were discovered.

I've used Verifier and it did identify a problem with a driver but I don't know how to find out which one. If this is the problem and you can tell me how to fix it I would be most grateful.

Please let me know which (if any) logs you need me to post (and how to get them).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

System specs:
Intel Z68 Chipset Motherboard
Intel Core I5 2500K
8GB DDR3 1333MHZ (4 x 2gb)
Radeon 7770

Unfortunately no, I didn't have anything to back up my data on and have a lot of things I don't want to lose.
My hard drive is partitioned (windows on one partition, everything else on the other), is there a way to run a clean install and leave the 2nd partition alone?

Yes, if you have properly setup the 2 partitions. Boot from the Windows 7 install disc and when you get to the partition list, select the Windows partition and format it, then start the "clean" install on that partition. Be sure to install the new motherboard drivers and run Windows Updates until no more updates are found. Unless the motherboards are identical, you should ALWAYS do a fresh Windows install on a new motherboard!

You know what? I'm being really dense. I actually did do a fresh install not a repair. When I booted from the windows disc I used the custom install option and selected the partition I wanted it on.
So, in that case, what could be causing the BSOD? I assume it's a driver problem.

I'm just using basic AVG Free, it's what i've always used and I've never had a problem with it in the past but I'll happily install something else if you think this may help.
Do you need any logs or anything to identify the cause of the BSODs?

"Do you need any logs or anything to identify the cause of the BSODs?"...

Yes, if you have any minidumps, attach them. You may have to zip them

"I've used Verifier and it did identify a problem with a driver but I don't know how to find out which one"... It looks like this verifier may be causing trouble

The minidumps show:
DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION
and
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Ntoskrnl.exe

You might try to re-install Windows once more and pay attention to the drivers you install

I was just thinking how I haven't had a BSOD since made this thread, the very second that I thought it I had a BSOD!
However, this time it was a 'MEMORY_MANAGEMENT' error instead of the 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL' error.
The new minidump is attached.

Attachments

• minidump2.zip
    24.4 KB · Views: 1
"I've used Verifier and it did identify a problem with a driver but I don't know how to find out which one"... It looks like this verifier may be causing trouble

The minidumps show:
DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION
and
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Ntoskrnl.exe

You might try to re-install Windows once more and pay attention to the drivers you install

The only drivers I installed were from the discs that came with the hardware (Chipset, Graphics Card, DVD-Rom) and whatever Windows itself installed.
Is it the Ntoskrnl.exe causing the problem?

Yes, MEMORY MANAGEMENT... Try the re-install or get into the bios and let us know what the DRAM memory voltage is

I entered the BIOS (my new system has the MSI Click Bios II) and the DRAM voltage is set to Auto (with the option of setting it to 1.35v, 1.65v or 1.8v)

OK, the voltage is set to 1.65v.
Is this just a fix for the 'Memory Management' error or could this possibly fix the 'IRQL' error too?

Just got a new BSOD.
'PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA' just above this it said 'dxgmms1.sys' but everything above that was off the top of the screen so I don't know the rest.

EDIT: Although this was while playing Gotham City Imposters which is notoriously buggy.

I thought the problem was fixed, I hadn't had a bsod (apart from the video card one) since I changed the DRAM voltage.
Unfortunately I just had another 'IRQL' bsod (minidump attached).

Attachments

• minidump3.zip
    24.2 KB · Views: 1
What were you doing when the last IRQL BSOD happened? Are you over clocking the motherboard or video card?

I was just watching some videos on youtube when the BSOD happened.
I don't have anything overclocked.

Back