[Windows 7 x64] Sound occasionally cracks and slows down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate, and I continue to have the following problem: Occasionally while using my computer, my sound will start to crack and warp. As it continues, the sound slows down and becomes very distorted. Once or twice, this has resulted in a system freeze and blue screen of death.

I have installed the most recent nForce drivers for my chipset with integrated sound (ASUS A8N-SLI with the nForce 4 SLI chipset), the most recent graphics drivers (GeForce 6 series for my twin 6800s) and the most recent Realtek drivers. My computer is acting as a media center and is plugged in from DVI to HDMI on my 55" LG LCD and the audio is in through a standard 1/4" jack.

I have experienced in in full screen VLC while watching HD video and while streaming video from the internet. Does anyone know what could be causing this slowdown and distortion?

This may be caused by another program running in the background. Programs like automatic virus and malware scanners, and email checking can cause this

I've got Norton Internet Security 2010 and it was disabled, but I might try completely uninstalling it. I have a new sound card ordered, so I will see if new hardware will help fix the problem.

Was Norton Internet Security expired? It may be very difficult to uninstall. Most all of Symantec's programs are tough to uninstall completely. The new sound card is a good idea. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back