Windows 8 PC or Mac mini combo?

Bruno M. Villar

Hi guys,
This is my first thread.
All of us know that windows 8 will be launched next october. I always used windows since the win98 version.
The windows 8 tablets are going to explode on the whole world very soon also.
I'm really interested in to give OSX a chance this time, but at the same hand, my whole life is attached to the windows universe.
Do you guys think a MAC MINI with a IPAD 2 would be a nice combo to help a newbie in OSX and it would help me against the WINDOWS 8 DESKTOPS and SURFACE TABLETS?
Answer thinking in the usability of the common user, interactions between both devices, etc
P.S: My mother didn't have money to pay me english lessons. I'm Brazilian, im failed and that's all I have for the moment.
Thanks for the help!

The Mac Mini is meant to be used as a HTPC so you can't really compare that against Windows desktops. It's excellent considering its size and is priced quite reasonably for an Apple product. If you're actually looking for a desktop and don't care about size then you'll get a lot more for your money by building your own PC.

I have both (actually my Win 8 machine is running the CP). But I'm a bit unclear on what you are wanting to do with it? Like slh28 said, you can build a Windows desktop with far better performance than a Mini, but you can't legally run OS X on it, and it is going to be a lot bigger physically.

The Mini will also be capable of running Windows 8, or 7 or XP so if it turns out you hate OS X but still like the form factor of the Mini at least it isn't a total loss.

If you update us with what you plan on doing with it, then we can advise further.

Thanks for the reply guys!
What I really would like to know is if "managing" my life with apple devices would be better instead using a combination of surface tablet, a windows 8 based pc and a windows 8 phone. Each device comunicating one each other. I know that on macosx we have the calendar app, the contacts app, the airplay thing and if I get a mac mini, it will "talk" equal with my actual ipad2, isnt'it?
I could be years ahead in security and I'll have the correct conectivity between the devices.
The question is: "what will be the best combination of devices to manage our lifes next years?"
- A mac mini, an ipad 2 or 3 and an iphone 5, or:
- A surface tablet, a windows 8 desktop pc and a windows phone 8
What will be the best in terms of connectivity, sharing informations and managing info?
See ya!

I'm in the same boat as Bruno M--. This isn't about cost. I realize that apple products come at a preimum. I'm just frastrated with all the Windows issues I've experienced over the years. I too want the Mac to help integrate my personal life.

Bruno - I've got a KVM and a 27 inch monitor I'm using for my home PC, hm laptop, work laptop, and I plan on adding a mac mini to this. I assume it should be pretty easy. I've got an IPAD2 (64M), Ipod touch 4th Gen (wifes old device-16M), Ipod touch5th gen (64M wife's new device) and I'm considering buying the mac mini (FYI- I looked on crucial.com and I can upgrade to 16M of ram for like $50-70 so don't do the memory upgrade wtih apple) and possibly an apply tv so that I can easily share photos/web sites when friends come over. It's a lot easier than huddling around a IPAD. Also for photos (I am planning on paying for the extra 40M of space in Icloud so my wife an I can store all family pics in the cloud, then technially we are no longer tethered to our PC).

I personally think goign with a MAC setup is the way to go. That way you can also get a basic understanding of both OS.

I know I didn't answer your question, but I'm sure it's possible after thanksgiving I am planning on heading into an apple store to discuss and possibly make my purchase. Travelling to MI this week for Thanksgiving so maybe I should do it now. I'm sure the lines will be a lot smaller if I go to the store before black Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Back