Windows install fails with 'The driver is mismanaging system PTEs'

Strider

Good day all,
I've tried multiple times to install Windows 7 Ultimate on an old computer cobbled together out of a MSI K7N2 delta L, Thoroughbred 2600, 3 GB RAM, GeForce 6200, on an empty C: drive. Each time, right after windows loads files and restarts, I get a BSOD with 'The driver is mismanaging system PTEs' with a variety of error codes, frequently Stop 0x000000DA... or 0x0000007E...
I've run memtest (no errors) and switched video cards. A Google search frequently blames a driver issue, but if there are any driver issues, Windows did it to itself.
The computer had been running Linux Mint. I pulled the C: drive and replaced it with the MT drive when I tried to install Windows. I can put the Linux drive back in the computer and it boots up fine.
Any ideas?

Finally! --a reply :D
Thanks, but the problem is Windows will not install, so there's no way to load drivers. The first suspect was the video card, so I switched cards. Windows still will not install. I also tried installing both with the computer connected to the router via an ethernet cable, and with no access at all to the internet. Same result.
Back to running Linux on that machine :p

Hello. Your welcome. You did not answer my question. What installation media are you using to install W7?
You down load the drivers with a working PC and put them on a flash. Have you considered flashing the BIOS as is suggested by the manufacture. I attached the link.
Can you get into the safe mode?

Last edited:
Hello! IMHO, it would be best to run Linux on that machine. I have only flashed the BIOS one time on a old HP laptop. I really don't remember how I did it, but luckily it worked.
Good luck!

Hello. Your welcome. You did not answer my question. What installation media are you using to install W7?
You down load the drivers with a working PC and put them on a flash. Have you considered flashing the BIOS as is suggested by the manufacture. I attached the link.
Can you get into the safe mode?
I downloaded the media years ago. I've used it a few times to install Win 7, generally for testing a system, then removing it before Microsoft started fussing at me to license it.
Again, it barely starts to install when it crashes with the BSOD. There is no way to load drivers.
I hadn't thought of flashing the BIOS. This is the first MSI motherboard I've tried to install Win 7 on. I wonder....
This whole affair was an experiment to see if that system: Thoroughbred 2600 + 3 GB RAM, is actually powerful enough to run Win 7. As far as usefulness, continuing with Linux will be the better option.
Cheers,
Strider

Hello @Strider. You are above of my pay grade.:) I 'm sorry. I really don't know if it will run W7. It's fun to try these things on old machines, but some times, it just won't work. If you have used the media before and it worked, I really don't have any more good suggestions. I enjoyed working with you. (y)Better to have a working PC with Linux then a bricked PC that won't boot.

Back