Inactive 'Windows Safe Mode' Virus - Anyone else having issues with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxdelta

Morning all.

Have been given a colleagues Compaq 615 laptop running Win7 Home Premium which is infected with the (to my knowledge) new 'Windows Safe Mode' Virus. I managed to stop the virus hijacking the desktop with its disc warnings etc by using 'Super Anti Spyware Free' but unfortunately it appears that the restore function, even in safe mode, has been corrupted. I also tried the Cmd prompt and using rstrui.exe but still no joy. None of the wireless functions work either even though the WLAN Broadcom device is showing up fine in device manager. The sound also appears to have been corrupted. There are a few manual solutions out there which involve deleting registry entries but as the Super Anti Spyware (and Malwarebytes) says the laptop is virus free having cleaned it previous, I am left wondering whether the virus has left damage and corruption. In my eyes, the only solution would be to back up files for my colleague and reset the laptop to factory default settings (reformat).

Anyone else seen this infection around as it appears to be a new 'rogue' application; I have to say it was a nasty bugger which clung on hard!

Thanks for any feedback!

Rgds.

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Broni,

Many thanks for the response. I finally managed to use the OS recovery disc to do a restore which corrected the damage and debris that the Windows Safe Mode Virus did. The laptop has now been returned clean to my colleague so I was unable to follow the instruction that you kindly took time to give.

Again, thanks again for the offer of help!

I would still be interested to hear how prevalent this infection is if anyone else has info. Many thanks all.

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back