Windows Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kijana

Hi everyone.

The advice of this web-site - and I find it very important, is that every-time you re-install Windows XP, among the first steps you take is downloading and installing critical updates.

Being a computer technician, I format/re-install Windows XP several times a week on different computers, but the internet speeds are pathetic. It can take several days to download and install recommended updates and its very frustrating since I am not assured of customer's satisfaction and security.

Therefore I was asking if there is one downloadable package that is updated even if its once a month that I can download and install.

Thank You.

You can download SP3 and install that on machines you reformat before you go to the Windows site. It saves a lot of time in the updating department.

I have found the same problem - and sometimes the way I get round it is to advise the client that "there will be more downloads to follow once he logs on to the 'net" - usually they are content to run these updates themselves!

You may want to take a look at RyanVM's integrator and/or nlite for making slipstreamed install cd's. A net search should find lots of documentation and info for these two programs. I always have an updated iso image of the XP install disks, plus a few copies in case I have to do an XP repair or clean install. Got tired of the blank look I would get when I asked customers for their XP install CD, or finding out half way through an install that the disk was bad, or scratched, or whatever. As far as I know it is legal to give someone one of these XP disks as long as they have a valid license for the OS. It will also help if you have to replace a hard drive on a system that only had a recovery partition with no XP disk

Dunno about you but looking after the updates can take almost as long as reinstalling or repairing the OS - I prefer to get the job done and away to the next one instead of hanging about waiting for downloads that the system will deal with by itself.

I have downloaded c't Offline Update tool and I am on the process of seeing what it can do.

I will post the results when am through.

Thank you all.

One further caveat is that I have started telling clients that they should not install SPIII without first taking the usual precautions of a backup, system restore, checking with Mum, etc etc.
Where I know for sure that SPIII has caused a problem (some Acer laptops for example) I have taught them how to control the downloads and install them selectively.

Kijana

They are both simple!

I run them both first Ctupdate these go in in levels, as one update goes in then an update fro that one may follow on next. Run until it says no more found.

Then run AutoPatcher select DirectX, Java it will find more and you have some other options here for Tweaks if you want.

After both of these are run then a vist to Win update will find very few to actually download.

Mike

Success!

I want to thank you all guys, though I have been off-line for a while.

I am now able to update a client's computer after installing Win XP Pro.

Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back