Windows will not Boot off of HD unless XP Disc is in CD Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

This started happening since I tried to make a H@ck!nt0sh out of my PC. I think it might have have happened because I changed the disk to HFS+. Well, enough speculation. It's as the title says. I think it might be because the partition isn't marked as active, so it cant get the attention of the BIOS when it tries to boot. Does anyone know how to mark a partition as active. I do have access to the windows xp installation, what can I download or what can I run to do this?

I marked the partition as active in windows, but now when it boots it says NTLDR is missing? What should I do? Run Fixmbr?

The alternative os forum has a thread discussing dual boot. Message #9 points to a site that has more detailed info. This site gives procedures for several scenarios.

As I understand it, fixmbr installs the Windows bootloader on the selected hard drive.

Here is info to create a boot floppy disk

Editing boot.ini allows you to identify partitions. (And mountable files systems such as cmd console)

Nevermind, the problem was apparently windows was installing the boot loader on another drive. (I have 3 hard drives) I just unplugged them while I installed. :p Only took me 6 times. -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back