Windows XP always freezing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a Windows XP and I have installed all the latest updates on my computer. Whenever I do just about anything on my pc. Time to time, it totally freezes up on me with no error or anything. It's so instant as well. The mouse, the screen, even the music playing. All instantly stop. You can't click anything. Nothing totally moves. You can't do anything on the keyboard. The only option is to unplug the PC and plug it in again. But that's what I always do when ever it freezes.

Any idea what is causing it? It still happened after I restored my PC too. I even put the blame on it being Firefox or Windows Live Messenger. So I uninstalled both and it still happened. I have no idea what it could be and how I could fix it. Please help

Welcome to TS.

Topping my suspect list: bad memory or corrupt drivers.

Check out Guides & Solved Issues, and pursue the topic that most resembles your problem symptoms.

A 'freeze', 'crash', and 'reboot' as a symptom will suggest overlapping troubleclearing approaches.

The events logs may help to narrow the suspect list.

To help with the Event Logs in the Event Viewer:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

If you can get in using Normal Mode, go straight to the Viewer. If you cannot stay up long enough in Normal Mode, bring the system up in Safe Mode:
Reboot> right AFTER the logo but BEFORE Windows starts to load, begin and continue tapping the F8 key until the system comes up in Safe Mode.

windows xp freezing

try logging in safe mode and work for some time , if it doesnt freeze in safe mode, then there is some problem with the driver or a software which is bugging, then try removing the suspected software by going into control panel and add/remove programs. If it does freeze in safe mode too, then there is definitely a hardware problem, such as memory or some other component bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back