Windows XP Boot Disk Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bellb

Hi, my dads computer just stopped working on him, when he turn the PC on you get a black screen and it says "Boot Disk Failure, Please insert Boot Disk and press enter" The only problem is I don't have a boot disk so that I can do this. So if anyone has any Ideas please leave a comment.
Thanks

Copied directly from the post I just made here:

Zenosincks said:
The only couple of things that I know of which bring about the "Disk Boot Failure" error (unless the "Update New Data to DMI!" is effecting the boot process), are:

1. The VBR can't find or load the system files or there was a problem loading them.
  2. During the boot process, the BIOS checks the last two bytes in the MBR (first sector of the drive) for a signature value of 55AAh. If the last two bytes are not 55AAh, an Interrupt 18h is invoked, which calls the subroutine that displays something along the lines of "Disk Boot Failure..." etc. So, ultimately this would suggest that your MBR is corrupt or non-existent.
  3. Your HDD has not yet been partitioned (which doesn't make sense if you've just installed an OS).

Do you have your OS CD? Complete the guide here, or run a repair installation and your PC should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back