Windows XP Boots After New Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

Alright this has me kinda confused. I finished building my new computer tonight and I was eager to power it up just to see if everything worked okay. I turned it on and was pleased to see that it appeared my hard work paid off. Everything ran just fine and I got no beep codes or anything. Settings in BIOS checked out so I saved and let the system restart. I left the room for a minute or two and came back to see the computer sitting at the Windows XP log on screen... weird. I logged on and everything was fine, aside from a few "New Hardware" dialog boxes. I did a complete mobo swap among other things so this struck me as a bit odd.

My question is, should I just leave the current install of Windows XP alone and do some driver replacement or should I bite the bullet and do a complete reinstall? I might just reinstall the OS anyways and start off fresh again but I wanted to see what others thought of this. I've never encountered such a thing w/ my computers before so I'm confused as to what to do. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

NOTE: I swapped an Abit NF7-S (2.0) w/ an ASUS P5N-E SLi mobo

A different motherboard would always call for a 'repair' installation of Windows at the very least, but in most case will require a complete re-install. You seem to have been lucky.

This is assuming from your slightly vague description of what you have done that you are actually moving a pre-installed O.S. from one machine to another, or a new motherboard in an old PC. Either way, most of the hardware is the same, only the motherboard and possible processor has changed?

One of the benefits of a re-install is you could do it from a Windows with SP3 already slip-streamed into it. Do research how to do this - it will pay off.

I've had this install of Windows XP (SP2) on my primary hard drive for almost a year. I did reuse this hard drive in this new system along with one other and a new 500GB. As far as hardware is concerned... the only components I reused were the 2 hard drives (one w/ XP installed), my two optical drives, and my Sound Blaster card. The CPU, mobo, RAM, and video cards have been swapped. I dunno how the system actually runs but I might just do a little driver tweaking and see if I can hold off on the complete reinstall. I spent a good 4 hours the other night backing my stuff up to prepare for the new install and now the machine acts as if nothing changed after being rebuild, bizzare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back