Windows XP does not boot and monitor does not power up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My system specs are
Windows Media center edition SP2
DELL XPS AMD Athlon 64*2 Dual
1.9GHZ and 1.00GB RAM

My computer was showing the blue screen for last couple of days after I installed Oracle db and had problems and had to install multiple copies and deleted the old copies and kept only one database. I had clened up registry related to Oracle software.

It worked good for few days and then started showing the blue screen.

I did defragmentation. I did chkdsk /f and /r both but still no improvement and I was thinking to restore to original time but could not do it and now computer is not booting . The monitor also does not turn up (stays yellow light)so I can't go to safe mode now.

Computer powers up well and I can hear fan.

I don't have boot CD. As this computer was built up by someone taking some parts out of my original DELL computer, I notice there is option for CD and no diskette drive.

Please help. I saw the sites like bootdisk.com and ultimatebootdisk but don't know which one should I go for and what should be step by step procedure.

I am not comfortable with trobleshooting with computer so want help .

Thanks.
mai_sha

edited
I just found the paper where I wrote the message one time after one of the BSODs and it says

Faulty or mismatched memory

STOP: 0*0000007F
(0*00000000,
0*00000000,
0*00000000,
0*00000000)

May be whole problem started because I modified the registry but before that i was getting some other error ( ithink it was isqlplussvc.exe) which made me to delete multiple copies of databases and hence all the problem.

Also monitor is in power save mode and looks like it has got stuck in that mode.

Please help what should I do.

Thanks.

I just found the paper where I wrote the message one time after one of the BSODs and it says

Faulty or mismatched memory

STOP: 0*0000007F
(0*00000000,
0*00000000,
0*00000000,
0*00000000)

May be whole problem started because I modified the registry but before that i was getting some other error ( ithink it was isqlplussvc.exe) which made me to delete multiple copies of databases and hence all the problem.

after I installed Oracle db
There are some options for this database, but it shows Oracle Database 11g. What is the size of your hard drive?

STOP: 0*0000007F is usually hardware related.

I am not comfortable with trobleshooting with computer so want help .
I had clened up registry related to Oracle software. I modified the registry but before that i was getting some other error

The troubleshooting/Registry statements are inconsistent. Why did you change the Registry? Did you back up the Registry before making the changes as recommended? If so, use the back up to restore.

It would seem obvious that the Oracle database is the source of the problem. You can try doing a System Restore to date before the first Oracle download.

Thanks. As I had deleted some databases so related to those I removed regitry although i think I had done well informed work. And everything was working fine for sometime.

At this time I can't even goto safe mode as monitor is stuck up in power save mods and clicking any key or mouse does not do anything.

The size of harddrive is around 100GB and out of which around 47GB was free after oracle 10g installation.

Well I am still not comfortable but thought of taking chance to do these steps. I had deleted some services related to deleted databases.

I would really like to restore the system before Oracle installation but I need to make Monitor out of power save mode first and then see if Windows Xp booting or not.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

IF you can find another monitor to use for this purpose, you might be able to handle the problem.

This is of some concern:
I had deleted some services related to deleted databases.
If indeed you were resetting Services in Computer Management, care must be taken to check the Dependency tab. Other Services may be involved.

Thanks a lot. I did delete the services only for databases which I had deleted. One database was still running and there was no problem I was able to change it manual start etc.. Windows prompt for if there is any dependency involved.

Do you think its monitor problem or PC problem. I was reading somewhere where some one had same problem and CMOS battery was problem. Well that takes me to open the PC .

And 7F problem related to RAM ?

should I plan to work on these two thing s first.

I just started the PC and monitor displayed DELL logo and green light is staying up and every thing is black again. I did press F8 nothing happened.

what does f2 or esc does. What should be my order.

I think that monitor is fine and its all PC problem.

The resolution shows as 720*400 70 hz
and optimium is 1280*1024

is this is somewhat related ?

I tried changing to factory setting and nothing happened . I think we usually keep resolution to 1024*780 right

I just started the PC and monitor displayed DELL logo and green light is staying up and every thing is black again. I did press F8 nothing happened. I think that monitor is fine and its all PC problem.

I am not clear on what your status is:
1. Do you have display on the monitor? Normal? Black? Blue?
2. Boot into Normal Mode- does Windows Load after the logo?
3. Do you get any beep on boot?
4. Boot into Safe Mode- the F8 must be tapped right after the logo loads, beginning "before" Windows begins to load. Was this your sequence?
5. Resolution of 700x400 pixels is too low. Monitor should be set as close to the native resolution as possible- in your case, 1280x1024. Refresh rate of 70hz is okay.

Have you tried disconnecting all electrical connections to computer and monitor, then reconnecting? If not, try this and see if it loads. I can't evaluate the stop error until we get something up.

Here are the answers to all the questions.

As soon as switch on PC. It shows sometimes (especially if I switch on PC after long time 5-6 hours)
Green light of monitor and Dell logo on screen and on top it shows F2-setup and F12-Boot menu. If I press F12 quickly it takes me to boot menu.
or sometimes ( after above condition if I switch off and switch on again) Yellow light and screen stays black.

2. Boot into Normal Mode- does Windows Load after the logo?
No.
3. Do you get any beep on boot?
No
4. Boot into Safe Mode- the F8 must be tapped right after the logo loads, beginning "before" Windows begins to load. Was this your sequence?

I did it multiple times pressing F8 as soon as I started PC and does not go to safe mode. yes

5. Resolution of 700x400 pixels is too low. Monitor should be set as close to the native resolution as possible- in your case, 1280x1024. Refresh rate of 70hz is okay

Have you tried disconnecting all electrical connections to computer and monitor, then reconnecting? If not, try this and see if it loads. I can't evaluate the stop error until we get something up.

I disconnected all connections as you said and reconnected everything,,still same condition first time green light and logo and then black screen and then after all off and on yellow light and screen stays black.

Hope this will help. I really don't know what to do now.Looks like Windows is not booting. Is there anyway we can boot Windows after downloading some files on CD.

Thanks for all your time.

As soon as switch on PC. It shows sometimes (especially if I switch on PC after long time 5-6 hours)
Green light of monitor and Dell logo on screen and on top it shows F2-setup and F12-Boot menu. If I press F12 quickly it takes me to boot menu.
or sometimes ( after above condition if I switch off and switch on again) Yellow light and screen stays black.

What you describe is part of the normal loading. You should NOT be pressing F12. Those F keys are for your information "should" you need them. In a normal boot, you would do nothing. After the logo finished, then Windows should load- without you pressing any key at all if you give it a few seconds.

Have you done that" Booted up 'without' pressing any of the keys that show in the post? If not, do it.

The 'green light' just means that the power is on.

"My computer was showing the blue screen for last couple of days af...." Do you know the difference between the "normal" blue screen during the boot process, right before the logo appears. It has nothing on it until the logon screen comes up- no writing. The BSOD- blue screen of death- has white writing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back