Windows XP does not boot up

I have tried everything to boot up my Compaq running XP os, I have previously done all the windows updates so I am guessing its running service pack 3.

It keeps on restarting and returns me to the selection screen (start in safe mode, normally etc) but whatever I do it just restarts and brings me to this screen.

I have also tried doing a system restore by pressing F10 but this will then just freeze. Another error message I get is "windows has shut down to prevent further damage".

I think the problem has happened as my little girl turned of the mains and restarted it within seconds without shutting the computer down in the correct manner.

I do not have a recovery disk, please can some one tell me how I could fix this problem or even get a new recovery disk for my system.

Is this common ??? Please help

I think the problem has happened as my little girl turned of the mains and restarted it within seconds without shutting the computer down in the correct manner.

There is every chance you are correct.
Which model of HP Compaq pls..
Do you have any XP CD or HP CD with the computer.
The first thing we need to try is chkdsk.
Before I can advise you further pls answer the questions

You need to run a disk check first (chkdsk /r) from windows xp recovery console. You need an xp cd to do this. Get one then ask what to do next.

I thought that was what I said -
The first thing we need to try is chkdsk
It is easier of course with the XP CD for the recovery console, but a lot of HP Compaq computers did not come with the CD. In many cases it was preinstalled on a recovery partition.
Naz1 - I will wait for your reply. - there is a way round the - NO XP CD - for the recovery console.

Hi again and thanks for all your reply's.

Everytime I have tried to run the xp recovery console it displays a error message "windows had to shut down to prevent further damage".

I neither have access to the diskchk, I have tried this but any actions I take just return me to the start up screen (start normal, safe mode etc)

I have an Compaq Presario SR1000, this is an old desktop and I do not remember any system recovery disk that came with it and I do know that the recovery partation is built in... but Its not letting me get access to it.

Is there anything I can do, thanks in advance

If the recovery console is inaccessible, you can go ahead repairing the operating system. To do this, insert the xp cd and make the system boot from it i.e the xp cd. When you see options similar to these:

TO SETUP WINDOWS XP NOW PRESS ENTER

TO REPAIR WINDOWS USING THE RECOVERY CONSOLE PRESS R

TO EXIT WITHOUT INSTALLING WINDOWS PRESS F3.

Chose the first option here by pressing enter. Dont be afraid, this step would not make you loose anything. The next thing is to agree to license terms etc, then another window comes with your old windows installation displayed on the screen, looks something like this,:

TO REPAIR THE EXISTING WINDOWS INSTALLATION, PRESS R

TO CONTINUE INSTALLING A FRESH COPY OF WINDOWS XP PRESS ESCAPE

You are to chose here the first option of repair by pressing R. If you make the mistake of pressing the escape button, dont panic. Just tap the F3 button twice to cancel installation and start over. This step should delete the old windows installtion and put in anew one without losing your files and installed programs.

Just do it right.

Back