Windows XP Hangs During Copy File phase of Installation

Hi,

I have this phenomena, where windows XP keeps hanging during the copying files for installation phase, in the Windows Installation Dos Mode.

I have attempted with XP Home SP1, and XP Professional, as well as XP Professional SP2. It hangs consistently at the same series of files. USRRTOSA.DLL and subsequent USR files always hangs the XP installation. I am baffled as to the cause of this, I've read up and it seems that its to do with a US Modem Manufacturer, so I disabled the Modem in the Bios (the modem card is removed), Removed the Gigabyte USB Extention card I installed, so the Hardware is pretty much what was on it before.

The drive is not the issue, I removed it and installed successfully on another PC, CD Rom is not the problem, is there a particular cause for this?

Well now you know why it baffled me...its an unusual sort of problem. I've never seen that happen, consistently regardless of the disc being used. Is it at all possible for me to circumvent this issue by creating a partition on the drive, copying the I386 folder to the hard drive, and attempting an installation then? Running WINNT.exe? Perhaps none would know the answer, saith me should I attempt such a feat.

Anyway I will update it as I attempt to unravel the mystery.

It could be a RAM issue. Try using just one RAM module and then the other (assuming you have two).

It could be a RAM issue. Try using just one RAM module and then the other (assuming you have two).

Hmm, could be that you are correct, I checked the board and its design isn't what I'd call particularly good, since the CD rom itself is literally milimeters away from the one memory stick. It might be that excessive heat caused it to malfunction. I will check them out and let you know if it is the case, thank you for the response.

hello,
i installed adobe flash player onto my system through interne and my system countered error stating "oxc0000008" due to which my system is unable to start now at present.i tried to boot it through "windows xp home edition sp2",but unfortunately lost my administrator password.at present i had two operating systems on my laptop,one is xp home edition on c:// drive and other xp professinal on d:// .

can any one help me to manange this situation?????
regards,
nanditha

nanditha, please start your own thread in the appropriate forum rather than hijacking this one with a totally unrelated problem. Trying to carry on two different problem solving conversations in the same thread is confusing and counterproductive.

Well now you know why it baffled me...its an unusual sort of problem. I've never seen that happen, consistently regardless of the disc being used. Is it at all possible for me to circumvent this issue by creating a partition on the drive, copying the I386 folder to the hard drive, and attempting an installation then? Running WINNT.exe? Perhaps none would know the answer, saith me should I attempt such a feat.

Anyway I will update it as I attempt to unravel the mystery.

Yes you can copy the contents of the install cd to the harddisk, and install xp from there.

Back