Windows XP Installation Damaged

My windows xp installation was damaged by this virus:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...cd749fcd467e729e2e0c402f7fa81a4cfd6/analysis/

The symptom I noticed is that it put files that were already on my hard drive, and put these same files in many other folders on my. These files were not infected, though. A scan with an updated Avast (obtained on a clean computer) through ubcd4win showed no viruses though.

I tried doing an inplace reinstall from my xp pro cd but it was a volume cd. It never gave me the Repair an installation option. It installed to a separate folder c:\windows.0 and installed the users to c:\docs and settings\all users.0, etc.... So all the data is still there and I get a boot.ini menu to boot my old OS. I get a 0x0000007b error when I tried to boot. I enabled boot logging but I can't find the boot logs. I used my microsoft XP DaRT/ERD Commander cd, but it shows no restore points.

Here's my boot.ini:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"

[spybotsd]
timeout.old=30

I am thinking I just need to bite the bullet and use the fresh install, but I wanted to ask here first. Most of my apps I use are portable already, just trying to avoid reinstalling all my apps that weren't portable.

In my own opinion. I would just reformat the drive and reinstall my os. Its hard saying how much damage the virus caused . Plus how many more problems might pop up.

I agree. Best to bite the bullet and reinstall. Probably save you effort and grief in the long terms. Couple extra of words of advice BEFORE you reinstall
> Make sure you have activation keys for Windows OS, MS Office, etc. plus any other programs you bought
> Especially since you're reinstalling XP, backup your drivers before the reinstall. Save you time of tracking down any hard to find drivers again. See How To Backup Your Drivers

Back