Windows XP not booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks!
I hope you can help me with my PC as Microsoft XP isn't booting up (screen constantly showing XP logo but not completing the boot process).
PC details: SATA HDD, Gigabyte GA K8 VT800.
The problem started when trying to load new hardware re a mobile phone. I'm getting "Device 0: not detected; Device 1: not detected, Device 2: not detected Device 3: not detected". Have tried "Last Known Good Configuration" option (doesn't work) and "Safe Mode" which doesn't lead to any new options. The PC is a Microland Technology TECH CB 155.01. Have tried various other suggestions from searching on the web without success. Can anyone help? Thanks.

You need an XP cd, boot from it and choose Repair the current Windows Installation. Do not press R for recovery when prompted. Read THIS

Good Luck!

I'm getting "Device 0: not detected; Device 1: not detected, Device 2: not detected Device 3: not detected".
These are all the IDE devices, (You have Sata)
They can be ignored

I agree with the Repair option as well

But you might also want to try Check Disk (the first R prompt this time)
The command line wil be:
chkdsk c: /r
(Note: space, before forward slash)

Thanks for your help - I changed BIOS to boot from CD but when I get the "Boot from CD" prompt (after putting in the Windows XP Professional CD), pressing any key doesn't do anything. You talk about buying a utility but is there any other option (as I'm using a laptop for these emails, I would presumably have to buy a download, transfer to CD and then insert in PC?) - but why would that CD be responded to when the another (Windows XP) CD doesn't result in a response? The suggestion re check disk - I can't seem to be offered a screen that allows me to key in an instruction. Your support is really appreciated. Thanks.

No utility to buy, or suggested.

But you might need to buy a new CD or DVD Drive! (actually possibly not- read on)

When you receive the prompt to press any key to start the Windows CD, it should start loading the CD; which will then allow you to select:
R
Enter

(In that sequence, ie Press R, Press 1, then press Enter)

But...

If nothing happens from pressing "any key" Then this sounds like it's a USB Keyboard, and... The USB Keyboard Enabled option needs to be configured in CMOS first

When you first start your computer, you will notice a prompt such as "Press DEL (or some other key) To go to Setup" (or CMOS or BIOS)
Press that key (DEL ??) within 3 seconds of bootup
Once in your computer's CMOS settings. Locate USB Keyboard support (wording may differ) and Enable it
Save and Exit CMOS (which is usually F10)

Then BOOT from the Windows CD again

Thanks for that. As nothing happens when pressing keys at the boot prompt, I have enabled USB Keyboard on BIOS but it's making no difference - keyboard key strokes still not actioning boot at "Boot from CD:" prompt. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your support.

I have enabled USB Keyboard on BIOS
Did you save and exit ?

Because this is not normal !
ie if it is enabled in CMOS then pressing say the SpaceBar on Windows CD load, should work.

Unless the keyboard is faulty (it's not a wireless keyboard is it ? <- hope not!)

Enable USB support, in CMOS

Thanks again for your suggestion. Yes, I've rechecked and I did save and exit - no change in result I'm afraid. USB Keyboard support is enabled. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Yes, another Keyboard (ideally the older PS2 if you have that <- sorry can't remember asking, and I'm in the reply now!)

Change the Keyboard
We need to get to that "AnyKey" !!

Hi folks!
I hope you can help me with my PC as Microsoft XP isn't booting up (screen constantly showing XP logo but not completing the boot process).
PC details: SATA HDD, Gigabyte GA K8 VT800.
The problem started when trying to load new hardware re a mobile phone. I'm getting "Device 0: not detected; Device 1: not detected, Device 2: not detected Device 3: not detected". Have tried "Last Known Good Configuration" option (doesn't work) and "Safe Mode" which doesn't lead to any new options. The PC is a Microland Technology TECH CB 155.01. Have tried various other suggestions from searching on the web without success. Can anyone help? Thanks.

well, it isnt that I am picky, but it would be easier for someone else with the same problem to find the answer too.
send me a message to link to the post when you get it moved.

I have already informed Moderators of this issue
I asked them to move it to Windows OS forum

As I'm not a Moderator, it's in their hands.

I have to agree with Kimsland re: the PS2 keyboard. I never use USB or Wireless keyboards to fix a computer since a lot of times the keyboard is not recognized until Windows starts to load. you won't have that problem with a PS2. You can pick up a USB to PS2 adapter cheap also instead of buying a new keyboard. That will enable the "Anykey!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back