Windows XP Product Key from CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonyman56

I recently tried to reinstall Windows Xp Home Edition to another computer, and found that I didn't have a product key for it. I did a bit of research and looked for the UNATTEND.txt file, but there was no file named that. I found this a bit odd and wondered if anyone could help me.

Then you're going to have to switch to Linux or some other open source OS. I don't think anyone here would give you a CD key for XP, and even then Microsoft's WGA checker will find you having an unauthentic copy. of XP.

edit: on a rare occasion you can contact Mcrosoft and try to argue your case for moving your copy of XP from one computer to another, but this requires a CD key and an original CD.

CD key and an original CD

I know it's strange but legally you require:

Windows CD (unless image installed on the HardDrive, basically a loophole)
Product Key (You must have the label attached to your computer)
The Windows Book ( What? Yes according to MS you must have that Xp book, where the CD came sealed with)

That is all :)

Oh, most users don't have the Book or the CD !

I know it's strange but legally you require:

Windows CD (unless image installed on the HardDrive, basically a loophole)
Product Key (You must have the label attached to your computer)
The Windows Book ( What? Yes according to MS you must have that Xp book, where the CD came sealed with)

That is all :)

Oh, most users don't have the Book or the CD !

Yup! I don't even remember the last time I saw an OS book from Microsoft.

that's illegal. You can only install windows XP on another system if you have purchased another copy. If you do not have the product key for THAT second computer, you will need to BUY a new copy. You can USE an XP installation disk on more that 1 system PROVIDED you have the key for each system that has been purchased. The disc is dumb to the installation process, but the key is unique to each computer that unlocks the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back