Windows XP Says it is Activated, But I Can't Log On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technochicken

A little over a month ago, I installed Windows XP on my laptop, using the disk from an old dell computer. I went to activate windows, but it said that windows had been activated. About a week ago, when I booted up, a bubble popped up from the login screen, saying that I had to activate windows within seven days. Now, when I try to log in, a bubble pops up telling me to activate windows. When I click activate now, a the activation window opens, and it says that windows has been activated. I click OK, and the computer logs me out, and forces me to do the same thing if I try to log in again. Interestingly, I installed XP on my grandmother's dell laptop from this same disk, and I didn't need to activate it either, but her's is still working, and I installed it about 6 months ago. I know your really not supposed to use the disk for multiple computers, so it's not that big of a deal if I can't fix it, but it is very strange that it is telling me it is activated, but I still can't log in. I'd really appreciate any ideas. Thanks,
TC

Technically, Windows XP is a one computer operating system. It was activated on the original computer. If you have to move the OS for any reason, such as for a new computer, I believe you have to contact Microsoft. You've already exceeded that. I can't tell you why it's working on another computer when it shouldn't be..

The installation ID records an association of the product ID to your computer and a confirmation is sent back to Microsoft. You can then use the product key to install Windows on that computer an unlimited number of times. However, if you want to install Windows on a different computer with that product key, you may have to contact a Microsoft customer service representative.

Activation is required in 30 days from the first day that you start Windows XP. If you want to activate Windows on a day that is later than the day that you install it, a Windows Activation icon appears in the notification area. This icon periodically displays notifications to remind you about how much time remains before you must activate. After the 30 days has expired, you must activate Windows to continue using Windows.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back