Windows XP won't boot past loading bar

Hello,
A friend of mine came to me with her tablet, a HP Pavilion tx2000. She had told me that it wouldn't boot at all, and that there were the infamous blinking caps lock and scroll lock lights. I did a bunch of research and it seems to be a pretty common issue. Someone had suggested that since the computer overheats so much, that the soldering for the graphics chip actually comes off. I disassembled the machine, and sure enough, that was the case. She decided she wanted to purchase a new motherboard for the computer, so we did that instead of attempting to re-solder the first connection.

We purchased a new motherboard, and I just finished installing it today. Upon the first boot, it said something along the lines of "CMOS Setting wrong press F1 to run setup; Press F2 to load default values and continue" so I pressed F2. Windows booted normally after that, and I was happy that I was going to be able to give good news to my client. The wireless card worked correctly, the CD drive worked correctly, and the computer was running very well. It wasn't even overheating like it used to.

I always test the machine's boot process several times to make sure it's reliable. Upon a successful shutdown, I powered it on again. It loaded the HP logo, followed by the green XP loading bar. After the loading bar, however, it went to a black screen. The fan was still running, and the lights were all still on. It would not move past this black screen.

When I try to run in safe mode, it loads all of the drivers, and again, goes to a black screen. When I pressed the ESC key to load startup options, the options flashed on screen for about 1-2 seconds, and then it went to a black screen again.

I would like to know what caused this, and how I can fix this. I really don't know what to do anymore, especially since this is a brand new motherboard.

I appreciate any feedback and help, and thank you for your time!

So you can't do a fresh install of XP? When a motherboard is replaced, you should always do a fresh install of the OS

Back