Windows XP won't boot - Skipping Autocheck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

A friend of mine asked me to take a look at her Averatec Notebook because it would attempt to load Windows XP, give the error message "Autocheck not found, Skipping Autocheck", and then continue to loop and try to boot up without success.

I'm able to get to the list of options for starting in Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, etc., and when I select any of them, the same thing happens. Repeated attempts to boot but nothing happens.

I have the XP recovery CD, and I can get into BIOS - but these are the only choices that the boot screen gives me:

Quiet Boot - Enabled
PXE Support - Disabled
1st Boot Device - HDD:pM-IC25N080ATM

It does not even give me the option to boot from the CD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I can't get to anything to try and run any checks or diagnostics; it won't allow me to even boot with the command prompt so that I can run a scan using DOS commands.

Thank you! :confused:

I don't know, it seems strange!
I found a similar thread here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/laptop-support/101341-averatec-laptop-problems.html
About DVD drive not booting as well
In that that thread it turned out to be a faulty Harddrive, but it could be a faulty Harddrive and\or DVD drive. It definitely sounds like hardware related

I'd suggest doing your best at locating the CMOS battery and remove it, basically trying to reset BIOS to defaults, in anyway possible
Then check if you can then see CD as a boot option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back