WinXP freezes, No BSOD, possibly not enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all, I am new to TechSpot, and I have built my own PCs for the past 15 years.
I am baffled by my computer behavior...maybe you can help me spot the problem, here are the specs:
ASUS P4S800
Pentium 4 2.8GHz
3 Gb Crucial DDR PC2100 RAM
Nvidia GEForce 6200 512 Mb
PSU Hipro HP-401 WP 350W
4 Samsung 500 Gb HD on SATA RAID
1 Maxtor 250 Gb
1 Maxtor 300 Gb

Lately my PC started getting random freezes, but interestingly no BSOD. The freezes will sometimes clear up after a few minutes, other times require a re-boot. It would happen during media playback, internet surfing, or defragmenting...no clear relation to program usage.
I have tested the RAM with MemTest68 and it comes up clear. I think I have enough cooling with 3 fans (2 on the back, and one on the side panel), but I could be wrong about that.
I just started suspecting that this system may not have enough power with all those HDs in it...what do you think, could that be the cause of the frequent freezes?
I know my computer is not infected with viruses, trojans, or malware, and it has worked fine for what drivers are concerned for over 4 years. The only changes I made lately were the addition of the RAID, about 1 year ago, and replacing the Nvidia from 256 Mb to 512 Mb about 6 months ago. However the freezes started about 1 week ago.

Hope someone will be able to help.

Thanks in advance.

Max.

Did you test the PSU with a multimeter and, yes, that seems underpowered for all that you are running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back