Wipe Computer

PurpaFur

I recently was sold a computer that still had information and files on it, and there appears to be a virus. My idea is just to wipe all files and programs to stock condition, if this is possible. The computer is a dell studio 1558 running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Of course; boot from a CD
  • delete the HD partition(s) - - all of them.
This will force the MBR to be recreated too
Next, repartition
  • first is 100MB primary;
  • 2nd will be the C: drive,
  • 3rd is 100MB a reserve for drivers,
Get the layout / space to consume the whole HD. Once it's correct, format EACH as NTFS and do not use the QuickFmt.
You want every sector to be rewritten or mapped out as a bad sector if so needed.

Now you're ready for a Full / Clean install.

Boot from a CD? I got this computer without any CD's... Also I have no clue how to do any of the steps you described.

You need an OEM install CD Windows 7 Home Ed - - search the internet and buy it asap - - they are becoming rare and hard to find. MS wants the world to move on to Win/8.1

As to HOW-TO - - you need a local buddy to come help you. Once you begin, it is important to at least complete the formatting. The install can be done after the fact.

This is sounding like it's going to cost more than a new computer of this type would cost... I think I'll just try to ID the viruses and manually delete files...

I worded that wrong: This is sounding like it's going to cost more than this computer is worth to me... I think I'll just try to ID the viruses and manually delete files...

If you have viruses, why not post the problem in our Virus and Maleware Removal forum?

Back