Wireless connects to network but not the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
im working with a dell inspiron laptop computer, just recently my wifi was working great up until yesterday. all of the sudden i couldnt access the internet. i can get my wifi to connect to the network, it says i am sucessfully connected to the network but i cannot access the internet. i reset my wireless router three times (for my built in wireless card) , i did a diagnostic and repair and still it still only connects to the network, but not internet, i also did a system restore to see if that may fix the problem but it didn't. My last option would be to reboot my computer but i would like to fix it without having to reboot, also if i did reboot would i have to reconfigure my wireless card? if anyone has any suggestions or answers it would be helpful thanks.

The first thing I would try is to connect an ethernet cable from the laptop directly to your modem to be certain that you have working internet service--unless you have another computer connected to the internet.

i dont have a desktop computer only a laptop, i dont have a modem, i know i have working internet service, thank you for your input, my fiance figured it out, it wasnt my computer it was the network itself.

So you have a wireless router is your modem also? How do you know you have internet access if your laptop can't get the internet?

use ipconfig to find your gateway address
then use ping $thatgateway which says you gave a connection
now try to find google with ping www.google.com

if the google ping replies with timings, you have both DNS access and a path to the ISP

hey tipstir, i get myself confused sometimes im new at this whole internet card thing. i know i have internet service on my laptop because i have connected to the internet on my laptop pleanty of times before. although i do have a wireless router its not connected to my laptop, i just got it but i havent set it up yet. i've just been getting internet service through wifi. thank you though i really do apreciate your help and the help of all who replied to my question. so i say thank you to all of you.

Oh okay! What wireless router did you buy? 802.11g or 802.11g/n? The router will give you either one or two or more internet security features that you just can't get with the software firewall on your laptop. This way you have hardware firewall protecting you from DOS, PING of Death and etc. Otherwise software would have to catch everything. Still you might want to hook-up more systems to your network. There are many of my clients like you without a router, but they have so much pest on their systems that they get daily or call and say HELP!

Im not really sure what i have i have a linksys wireless router its a WRT54GL series with four ports in back, it doesnt have an antenna. it was given to me by a friend, i know i will need to reset it if i want to use it. i plan on replacing it but i just need to find out what type of router i need to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back