Wireless network to TV in my house

By uracus ยท 6 replies
Apr 25, 2009
  1. My computer connects to cable (Roadrunner) for internet. I want to connect another computer to my TV in another room so I can surf the web using 32" TV as monitor. I have a Belkin N wireless router (someone gave me) which I believe connects to the cable modem (in another room with my wired desktop).

    Question: Can I use a wireless keyboard and mouse in conjunction with the TV and computer? I would be about 9 to 10 feet away from the TV and computer. Do I need a TV tuner in the computer? And what type of wireless card do I need for the computer? What else do I need for this setup to work, i.e., my wired desktop computer in one room, another desktop tower (with bare essentials) hooked up to a TV in living room.? Would appreciate any help forthcoming.

    (what's a tag?)
  2. jobeard

    jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,168   +986

    using a TV as a computer monitor will not look good at all unless you use
    a S-Video or HDMI connection to the computer.

    Wireless mouse/kb will work with IR or Bluetooth devices.
  3. SNGX1275

    SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,742   +421

    Yes you can do that. You need a TV tuner if you want to watch tv through the computer on the tv. You don't need any special wireless card, just whatever you feel like buying. I don't really understand your questions, its exactly as straightfoward as it seems.

    Wireless NIC
    Tuner card if you are wanting to use the comp as a DVR.
    Wireless KB/Mouse
    Display (your tv).

    Whats the prob?
  4. uracus

    uracus TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Thanks for responding. I guess I'm looking for advice because this is new to me and I'm trying to figure it all out. What NIC card do I need to buy? My computer I want to connect to my TV is an old Dell E310 Pentium 4 2.8mhz with 1 g ram running XP media center. And according to the setup guide for my TV, the best connection is with HDMI/DVI cable. So these are the steps I envision:
    -Hook up the N wireless router to my cable modem attached to my desktop in computer room; install the software
    -Install an NIC card in my E310. Connect it to my TV with the HDMI/DVI cable
    -Get a wireless KB and mouse to use with the E310 (I'll be about 9 feet away from TV/310)
    Any advice on suitable wireless KB and mouse for this?
    Are these steps right?
    Appreciate your help.
  5. SNGX1275

    SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,742   +421

    Probably any wireless NIC you can find will work. If you have an N router you'll get the best performance with a wireless N NIC. I think G is backwards compatible with N but you'll want to check the specific router to make sure if you are going to get a wireless G NIC.

    I've used a cheap Logitec wireless kb and mouse setup before and had no problems. 9 feet isn't going to be a problem for wireless. Avoid the IR ones because they'll need line of sight.

    The steps are correct. Hopefully your video card has dvi out. If you only have hdmi on your tv (as opposed to dvi in) you can get a cable from monoprice.com (DVI->HDMI) for cheap, and they work fine, I'm running a 15' DVI->HDMI from there from my computer to my tv.
  6. uracus

    uracus TS Rookie Topic Starter

    One more question: My DEll E310 has a VGA video connector (integrated). Is this the same as DVI and will a DVI connector fit? Thanks
  7. SNGX1275

    SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,742   +421

    No, VGA is analog where DVI is digital. You could probably get an adapter to make the VGA component or composite. Component might look ok if you only use it for TV, but composite will look terrible.

    Fortunately you can find video cards with a DVI out for pretty cheap, you don't need any special capabilities unless you are going to be doing HD video and playing back 720p videos. Since you only have PCIe 1x and PCI slots you'd need something like this which is about $40 after rebates. If you aren't dealing with HD almost any cheap PCI card with DVI out will be good enough.

    You'll also need a headphone to RCA thing so you can get audio to your TV. Most HD TVs will have an audio in for the DVI or HDMI input.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...