Wireless signal boost help

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdexter1

I just hooked up a wirle pci card to my computer and the card has a 2 dbi antenna.
The signal on the computer in the basement is VERy weak! If I upgrade to a 7 Dbi antenna will it be alot stronger? What is a good way to boost the signal strength?

I am ussing this to share a signal (we agreed upon to split the IPS cost) with my next door neighbors wireless. (Don't tell the IPS!)

Wireless repeaters outside from your next door buddy to your house.. You'll have to share the electric bill also.

I see alot of aftermarket antenna and signal boosters on the market. IIf you hook up a antenna to the back of the computer and putting it up on the desk therefore taking the antenna off the back of the PC would this improve signal?

craigdexter1 said:
I see alot of aftermarket antenna and signal boosters on the market. IIf you hook up a antenna to the back of the computer and putting it up on the desk therefore taking the antenna off the back of the PC would this improve signal?

How far are you from your next door buddy? 50FT, 100FT, 200FT Measure the distance and then you can figure out how many dbi you need to connect. Best way is to run Ethernet cable but don't go more than 300FT. From his or her router or switch you would connect to your stuff. Wireless would work if you're right on top of your buddy.

ANT on the back of the PC can only go so far, don't expect too much as the signal chances daily. You could be 100% then 50% goes up and down.

The ANT you're talking about would have to go on the roof of your dwelling with amp for it. Lot's of people on the internet boost their signal that way. If you need to go that way. Not cheap either. Running the CAT5e is cheaper they sell a 250FT box spool at Home Depot then you'll have to terminate the ends (push them down) in other words make your own ends to connect.

We're across the street from each other. About 250ft. I have thought about some cable and an outdoor antenna on the roof. I think that's the wat to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back