Workgroup password prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mewi

Okay... I'm probably going to regret asking this, I used to know how to do it but i guess I forgot over time?

How on earth do I make it so when I go to "View WorkGroup Computers" and click on a computer that it prompts for a password and username before I can even enter the shared folders?

Operating Systems: Windows XP Professional SP3 with Simple File Sharing Disabled.

~Celeste~ :\

hmm; There are two levels of access
  1. system access via the View WorkGroup Computers
  2. NTFS access via the ACL rules, which have no password prompts
The problem is, the prompt occurs only on the first access and it gets 'remembered'

For my access from other platforms which do not have common logins to the target system,
accessing \\XP\shared always prompts for the user/pwd of the share, which leads me
to believe,

a) create a pseudo login and password
b) give ownership of the sharepoint to that id
c) set the <everyone> permissions as you need
e) create the share using that ID

accessors will need to know that user/pwd and (I think) the prompt will always occur.

hmm; There are two levels of access
  1. system access via the View WorkGroup Computers
  2. NTFS access via the ACL rules, which have no password prompts
The problem is, the prompt occurs only on the first access and it gets 'remembered'

For my access from other platforms which do not have common logins to the target system,
accessing \\XP\shared always prompts for the user/pwd of the share, which leads me
to believe,

a) create a pseudo login and password
b) give ownership of the sharepoint to that id
c) set the <everyone> permissions as you need
e) create the share using that ID

accessors will need to know that user/pwd and (I think) the prompt will always occur.

Could my problem be happening because all 3 of my systems have the exact same password/usernames? Regardless of the fact that one of the systems ( fresh install recent ) never entered username or password prompt?

What I really don't get is that before I changed my workgroup name, this seemed to work when I used my netbook to access shared files /hmm I even remember being able to disconnect if I wanted and be forced to enter username/password again >.> this is frustrating lol, I didn't even change anything except workgroup name ;\.

the workgroup name of the source system must match that of the target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back