Working From Home Effectively: Dos and Don'ts

Some of this depends. My job for example is IT support, there are slot less tickets comming in right now, maybe 1 or 2 a day, and I've already written processes and knowledge base articles for doing things. So I spend plenty of time watching Netflix, as does my boss. His instruction to us is simple, I don't care as long as your working your tickets.

Disagree about the pajamas. Even if it's jeans or shorts, take a shower and get out of your pajamas and put more of a "game face" on for work. Old friend of mine was getting out of grad school with an MBA and every day of his job search (this was a long while back) he put on his suit whether he had an in-person interview or just via phone. While I wouldn't do that, I understand and agree with his attitude--get out of your sleep clothing and get into work mode.

Disagree about the pajamas. Even if it's jeans or shorts, take a shower and get out of your pajamas and put more of a "game face" on for work. Old friend of mine was getting out of grad school with an MBA and every day of his job search (this was a long while back) he put on his suit whether he had an in-person interview or just via phone. While I wouldn't do that, I understand and agree with his attitude--get out of your sleep clothing and get into work mode.

I have been working from home for 8 years and I was going to post more or less the same. You need to switch work brain on and off and a clothing change helps. Doesn't have to be a suit but you do need to make a switch to day clothes at least.

Another rule I have, Once I have shut my laptop for the day it stays shut unless I get an urgent phone call (Almost never). No checking mails etc.

I also get up at least once an hour, go downstairs, look out a window, walk about on the garden or just do something to get away from the screen for a few minutes and stretch. It's also good if possible to work outside for an hour or so while it is sunny.

Exactly, I need dress like in the office to get more focus and do my work. Pijama is only for sleep and maybe sunday in the morning.

Some of this depends. My job for example is IT support, there are slot less tickets comming in right now, maybe 1 or 2 a day, and I've already written processes and knowledge base articles for doing things. So I spend plenty of time watching Netflix, as does my boss. His instruction to us is simple, I don't care as long as your working your tickets.

Exactly! I have some field techs. I tell them as long as your calls are complete, your inventory spotless and the customers are happy, I don't care. You want to goof off 10-15 minutes or something, fine by me. Calls & customer service come first.

Exactly! I have some field techs. I tell them as long as your calls are complete, your inventory spotless and the customers are happy, I don't care. You want to goof off 10-15 minutes or something, fine by me. Calls & customer service come first.

Yep, I was playing Mass Effect today in-between calls, oddly I do basically the same thing at work, but on a personal laptoo. Only rule at work is not when you have work to do or we have a customer come into our area to seek help. Also if an exec walks in look like your fixing something doesn't matter what.

My Career is in IT and I've been working remotely the last 6 weeks and agree with everything in this article.

I know people that are new to the working from home thing right now and they are suffering. Don't have proper desk, using folding chairs, don't have a dedicated workspace.

Feel the part of your arm that rests on the arm part of your computer chair. Glide your fingers over it. Feel a indent? modern chairs have hardly any arm cushioning

I have been working from home for 8 years and I was going to post more or less the same. You need to switch work brain on and off and a clothing change helps. Doesn't have to be a suit but you do need to make a switch to day clothes at least.

Another rule I have, Once I have shut my laptop for the day it stays shut unless I get an urgent phone call (Almost never). No checking mails etc.

I also get up at least once an hour, go downstairs, look out a window, walk about on the garden or just do something to get away from the screen for a few minutes and stretch. It's also good if possible to work outside for an hour or so while it is sunny.
Up until August last year I spent 12 years or so working from home. I never 'dressed up' for work, but I did get dressed - I still had to walk the dog at lunchtime so it made the transition smoother.
I set a fixed work window - 8-12 and 1-5, mainly as that what was roughly expected of my company and colleagues but also worked for me, which was easy to stick to - I didn't clock-watch per se but it was easy to see when I'd slip over.
I never saw my laptop - not a cheap or ugly model, but it was sat under the desk with a proper screen, keyboard and mouse to ensure a comfortable (some might actually call it 'safe') working environment. Okay so I had the time to prepare my office area (a corner of the room) but I'd highly recommend getting your setup as ergonomic as you can from the get-go. I never did try one of those big ball chairs but I guess if you need to get an ortho chair etc then they'd post easily!

As a cabinetmaker, I've often been called upon to build computer desks and other work spaces.Most of what's been said here is excellent information for a work from home computer station. I would add only a couple thoughts.

First is the seating. Be sure that you have a chair with sufficient adjustability. That means up-and-down, seatback angle and seat bottom tilt/angle. Sit in this and adjust until you are totally comfortable. Then, grab a book and read while sitting for an hour or 2. If your back feels good, you got it right. if not, readjust.

Second, once you get the chair height right, set the work surface itself to the right height. Be sure the way you use your mouse doesn't put your wrist at an unusual angle and that your use of the keyboard allows for proper wrist angles. Carpal tunnel is no fun!

Be certain your monitor is placed at the right distance away to allow your eyes to focus properly on the screen. Be sure your glasses do not require you to strain your neck to see the screen properly. IMHO, if you wear bifocals like me,it's a good idea to have a pair of glasses that optimize the amount of lens you see your screen through, ie "computer glasses".
Be sure to check for lamp glare or other distracting sources of light such as a sunny window.

FYI, if your office work is secure in nature, consider an Ethernet rather than wireless connection. Don't trip over the cords!

Last edited:
Good article and agree with almost all of it. Having worked from home myself, quite a lot, I have to disagree regarding staying in pyjamas to work. It's important to get into 'work mode' at the start of the day, and indeed to get out of it when work is done. Getting out of your pyjamas and getting dressed is a big help with this, as is getting into your 'slobbies' once work is complete. Living on my own makes this even more important to properly ringfence the two parts of the day.

Your boss sounds cool and reasonable AF

Back