World's longest imprisoned blogger has been released

Emil

Staff

Nabeel Suleiman (also known as Abdul Kareem), from Egypt, is the world's longest imprisoned blogger. After being incarcerated for over four years (1470 days to be exact), he has now been released. The news comes directly from his supporters as the Egyptian government obviously does not want to draw attention to the good news.

"Kareem Amer is now free, and he's safe in his home with his family and friends, a close friend to Kareem reports," according to the Free Kareem Blog (via ReadWriteWeb). "Kareem refused to talk to anyone at the moment, however he reassures all his supporters worldwide that he's fine. The brave man wants to have a little privacy for a week before he can say anything."

Suleiman blogged under the name Kareem Amer until he was sentenced in 2006 for what he posted on his blog; among other things, he criticized Egypt's treatment of women and its Coptic Christian minority. Suleiman's supporters report that he was tortured, beaten, attacked by other prisoners, disowned by his family, as well as had his books, letters, and personal items taken away.

Due to the political importance of his case, Amer managed to gain an international support movement that kept him in the online news throughout his time in prison. Many people thus protested, rallied, supported, donated, wrote, shared, and even tweeted for his cause.

Permalink to story.

Good news! You gotta feel for these poor guys (and gals) who in repressive societies speak out on behalf of freedom and personal rights. You know they're going to get nothing but mass grief as a result.

You don't no any thing about him except whate wrote her..
For me he is another stupid trying to reach the Fame

All that bad crap listed that happened to him especially the 'family disowning' part just because he was honest and gave his honest opinion... so pathetic.

I'd never even heard of this guy but glad he's ok. Nabeel Suleiman just move to America(if you haven't already) and start your honest blogging again =P

I know enough to know that he won't get 'harassed' etc for speaking his mind over there =)

Was just going to say that. Although the American government hates outspoken people/organizations like wikileaks I'm sure either the US or Canada would take him in. Anything would be better than an African country ATM.

Guest said:

Well i've read some of his blog he really just attack and insults religion and government

with weak arguments and proves that even 12yr old kids can easily prove him wrong so i guess i have to agree "he is another stupid trying to reach the Fame"

Ahmed90 said:
Guest said:

Well i've read some of his blog he really just attack and insults religion and government

with weak arguments and proves that even 12yr old kids can easily prove him wrong so i guess i have to agree "he is another stupid trying to reach the Fame"

In that part of the world, anyone who remotely criticize religion will be prosecuted or put the death!!!
He is not stupid, he is courageous for speaking out! Just read how the writer above justifies his imprisonment: "...he really just attack and insults religion..." That says it all!!!

the5xfactor said:
In that part of the world, anyone who remotely criticize religion will be prosecuted or put the death!!!
He is not stupid, he is courageous for speaking out! Just read how the writer above justifies his imprisonment: "...he really just attack and insults religion..." That says it all!!!

did you ever read his blog ? did you ever known the story from "both" sides ?

and i didn't "justifies his imprisonment" am just saying my opinion after i read his blog (in Arabic) and checking his arguments turns out he got no arguments at all

and still am not justifying his imprisonment for 4 years at all maybe a fine should be his maximum punishment but for sure not years in jail

Ahmed90 said:
the5xfactor said:

did you ever read his blog ? did you ever known the story from "both" sides ?

and i didn't "justifies his imprisonment" am just saying my opinion after i read his blog (in Arabic) and checking his arguments turns out he got no arguments at all

and still am not justifying his imprisonment for 4 years at all maybe a fine should be his maximum punishment but for sure not years in jail

A fine? Really? This is the problem with dictatorships, and the sheep that follow dictatorial rule. People are afraid to speak out in protest. In a country that support the medieval mutilation of female genitals, I would speak out and risk jail time too. Even if everything he said on his blog is total BS, which I highly doubt, WHO CARES!

Wendig0 said:

A fine? Really? This is the problem with dictatorships, and the sheep that follow dictatorial rule. People are afraid to speak out in protest. In a country that support the medieval mutilation of female genitals, I would speak out and risk jail time too. Even if everything he said on his blog is total BS, which I highly doubt, WHO CARES!

what happens to people who insults / attack image people in public? its called "Libel and defamation" so a small fine should be as i said the MAXIMUM punishment

and yet again am not supporting Egyptian government in fact Egyptian government is known one of the most corrupted governments in this subject

and am sure hes jailed more likely because he attacked the government not religion

Ahmed90 said:

what happens to people who insults / attack image people in public? its called "Libel and defamation" so a small fine should be as i said the MAXIMUM punishment

and yet again am not supporting Egyptian government in fact Egyptian government is known one of the most corrupted governments in this subject

and am sure hes jailed more likely because he attacked the government not religion

Attacking the government via blog shouldn't be a case for libel/defamation, regardless of whether it is true or not, though Egypt is a dictatorship so free speech doesn't fly.

Spreading lies about an individual IS libel/defamation of character, and is cause for a fine.

Just look at the United States... Bloggers here, on both sides of the political spectrum, have the freedom to say whatever they want about the government without fear of retaliation. If they lie, they will be called a liar, and the worst that will happen is they lose readers. No big deal.

As far as what happens to people that insult others in public, nothing... The person getting insulted either gives the insulter a black eye or goes home with a bruised ego.

Wendig0 said:
Attacking the government via blog shouldn't be a case for libel/defamation, regardless of whether it is true or not, though Egypt is a dictatorship so free speech doesn't fly.

Spreading lies about an individual IS libel/defamation of character, and is cause for a fine.
thats my point he insulted / attacked "individuals" in government and "individuals" in the religion

Wendig0 said:
As far as what happens to people that insult others in public, nothing... The person getting insulted either gives the insulter a black eye or goes home with a bruised ego.
lol ye thats normal people but not government people with magical powers xD

Ahmed90 said:
Wendig0 said:

thats my point he insulted / attacked "individuals" in government and "individuals" in the religion

Wendig0 said:
lol ye thats normal people but not government people with magical powers xD

What country are you from Ahmed? In the third world what you say is true, though in a modern democracy/republic, it wouldn't matter if he attacked individuals in government or in the religious hierarchy.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
~Thomas Jefferson

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
~Thomas Jefferson

People should not be afraid of their government, government should be afraid of its
people-
'V'

...one of my favorite movies of all time :)

red1776 said:
~Thomas Jefferson

People should not be afraid of their government, government should be afraid of its
people-
'V'

And mine too!

On a completely unrelated subject, I fixed the fan on that graphics card you sent me. :) Runs like a champ once again :D

Wendig0 said:
red1776 said:
~Thomas Jefferson

people-
'V'

And mine too!

On a completely unrelated subject, I fixed the fan on that graphics card you sent me. :) Runs like a champ once again :D

But don't forget!
Afraid of their government, people should not be. Afraid of its people, the government should be-
Yoda, paraphrasing V, paraphrasing Thomas Jefferson

Wendig0 said:

What country are you from Ahmed? In the third world what you say is true, though in a modern democracy/republic, it wouldn't matter if he attacked individuals in government or in the religious hierarchy.

~Thomas Jefferson

am from Iraq

and yes its nice quote so true
but the governments here fear people if thy don't fear people thy wouldn't jail this guy and alot of others with ideas, arguments and visions way way way better than this guy

Back