World's second-richest person sells private jet to stop Twitter users tracking it

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Billionaires do seem to enjoy private planes, especially for journeys so short that the rest of us would use ground-based transport to complete them. But what's someone worth $133 billion to do when their jet is being tracked by Twitter users exposing their environment-destroying traveling? Sell it, of course.

As reported by Gizmodo, Bernard Arnault is the CEO of luxury brand LVMH and the world's second-richest person with a fortune that puts him above Jeff Bezos and below leader Elon Musk on Bloomberg's Billionaires Index.

Like other members of the rich and famous club, Arnault prefers the comfort and privacy of taking a private jet. He's also one of the many people whose planes are being tracked on Twitter using publicly accessible information and transponder signals.

One of these accounts, laviodebernard (Bernard's Plane), revealed that Arnault's private jet had not been registered in France since September 1, 2022. The billionaire admitted on the LVMH-owned podcast that the group sold it. "The result now is that no one can see where I go because I rent planes when I use private planes," he explained.

Bernard's son, Antoine Arnault, who is also an LVMH board member and director of communications for Louis Vuitton, said competitors could get an edge by knowing where the LVMH jet is. He confirmed that the plane was sold over the summer.

Another Twitter account, I Fly Bernard, noted that private planes used by millionaires (and billionaires, presumably) coming to and from France had emitted 203 tons of CO2 during 48 hours of flights in September alone.

One of the best-known Twitter users who tracks private planes is Jack Sweeney. He has accounts that track Mark Cuban, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, celebrities, and more. He also follows the yachts and private jets of Russian Oligarchs and tracks flights of planes registered to President Vladimir Putin and Russian VIPs.

Elon Musk famously offered Sweeney $5,000 to close an account tracking the Tesla boss' plane as Musk didn't "love the idea of being shot by a nutcase." Sweeney said he'd remove it for $50,000, but the world's richest person never got back to him after saying he'd consider the offer.

Permalink to story.

The rental option will continue to be the best option for the long run. Not only for privacy but also for the elimination of all the registration updates, maintenance, re-certifications, etc, etc. And with rentals, he can easily switch off if his jet is "discovered" and again appears on social media's.

I mean, is this "cranking" on the rich? Or exposing the fact they are all liars when they say "we want to help the environment" then continue using private jets to do the grocery run?
Honestly I won't get mad at the guy for wanting his privacy and jet-setting to get more money to roll in.

if techspot wants to go after a group thats probably harming the planet go after all the lawn companies, the ones by me arent even mowing grass anymore, just dirt cause they wont let a blade dare grow in their presence.

Sounds like violation of privacy to me, and herd-induced hypocrisy - they do not pursue plane manufacturers, but instead the people who buy them. That's just wrong, and f-d up as much as the rest of today's f-d up woke-turd society.

Honestly I won't get mad at the guy for wanting his privacy and jet-setting to get more money to roll in.

if techspot wants to go after a group thats probably harming the planet go after all the lawn companies, the ones by me arent even mowing grass anymore, just dirt cause they wont let a blade dare grow in their presence.
Privacy is something that everyone deserves, even the rich. there are so many bigger target some can go after for environmental reasons, like China, but we dont dare go after the red flag.
I mean, is this "cranking" on the rich? Or exposing the fact they are all liars when they say "we want to help the environment" then continue using private jets to do the grocery run?
Did this rich person virtue signal, or is this twitter going off on an innocent person yet again?

Privacy is something that everyone deserves, even the rich. there are so many bigger target some can go after for environmental reasons, like China, but we dont dare go after the red flag.

Did this rich person virtue signal, or is this twitter going off on an innocent person yet again?
All those innocent billionaires lol

Funny how there are no articles on Techspot about John Kerry. "Mr. Environmental" using his private jet. This whole Environmental thing is a total joke, in a grab to control people.

I'm all for keeping things clean for future generations, but the people who are trying to control it are some of the worst offenders.

Lol they have money, it's okay to harass and stalk them!
Is it ok, for one in ten people to live, in this day and age, in extreme poverty? Who cares? Who said the world should be fair? Most rich people nobody tracks, cares or even know about. It's rich celebrities that get hassled and that comes with the job.

Not sure I ever heard this guy saying he wants to help the environment, and I'm absolutely certain these aren't "grocery runs".

One could argue that Musk has done more for the environment by putting millions of Teslas on the road than taking away his private jet. I think you have to look at the whole picture, not just one aspect of a person's life, before you start calling them planet killers.

Not sure I ever heard this guy saying he wants to help the environment, and I'm absolutely certain these aren't "grocery runs".

One could argue that Musk has done more for the environment by putting millions of Teslas on the road than taking away his private jet. I think you have to look at the whole picture, not just one aspect of a person's life, before you start calling them planet killers.
Oh I was just taking a stab in the dark. Usually rich people spout that kind of nonsense and think us poor people actually believe them.

I never called him a planet killer or anything, I had no idea who they were before this article, I don't have a habit of following the ultra rich as there's no benefit to it.

Captains of industry are the extreme minority and the impact they have means little in the great scheme of environmental considerations. What does NOT mean little is the need for them to move about quickly to deal with the needs of the moment for whatever business dealings that requirement them.

Captains of industry are the extreme minority and the impact they have means little in the great scheme of environmental considerations. What does NOT mean little is the need for them to move about quickly to deal with the needs of the moment for whatever business dealings that requirement them.
Dude chill, I know, I really REALLY don't care about the ultra rich. Not a single tiny fraction of me cares at all.

That's a good question. My answer is all people are the same, we are all sinners but no one wants to write about the poor. Using a private jet is not a bad thing. If we want to help the environment we should get out of ours cars and pick up trash whether or not it is "ours" These expose articles should be in "Photoplay" magazine

They are usually contacted for so many mows a year. They can't predict the fall weather in the spring. They mow no matter if it's rained or not. Some places will get skipped but they usually get mowed in case it rains in between mows. You can blame the frequency on the property managers.

Sounds like violation of privacy to me, and herd-induced hypocrisy - they do not pursue plane manufacturers, but instead the people who buy them. That's just wrong, and f-d up as much as the rest of today's f-d up woke-turd society.
Not really. I have a PiAware that tracks planes using their ADS-B and feeds it to FlightAware. The only real difference between tracking broadcasts and this is tying the plane to specific owners (which FlightAware and other publicly accessible government databases already do) with a focus on the rich and famous, plus a bit of advertisement for it. In other words, it's just taking what is out there and making it convenient.

If anything this helps with privacy as it raises awareness to the owners that anybody who is serious about tracking planes that they own can do so.

https://graphics.reuters.com/CLIMATE-UN/EMISSIONS/jnvwexaryvw/

Oh the illegal environmental practices of the Western Hemisphere for the last 100 years. China is guilty now, but China has a long way to go with their neo-colonialism before matching the Europeans and Muricans in negative impact. And don't forget the nuclear testing in the Pacific.

The Western Hemisphere has done a lot of good for the world too, but what I'm probably trying to say is, be careful of hurling stones in glass houses.

Regarding privacy, perhaps talk to Mr Zark Muckerberg first...

So they are free to do this naming and shaming with private airplanes on Twitter and in P.R.C. but if I do the same in a multiplayer video game, or in this very forum, my comments are removed and I can even get a ban.

Last edited:
Lol they have money, it's okay to harass and stalk them!
it's a publicly available information as required by FAA. if they don't want to get tracked, maybe build an airplane and airports from scratch without all of the FAA regulations and approval?

yeah, good luck with that. until that time, I'm gonna enjoy these little tomfoolery action.

Back