Would this be a good dvd burner for my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LxTrix

looking to spend around $40 on one heres what i'm looking at let me know what you think

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name HOME
User Name Alex

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 2200 MHz
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 1024 MB
BIOS Type Award Modular (11/29/06)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter GeForce 7600 GS (256 MB)
Video Adapter WinFast PX7600 GS (256 MB)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (12117786)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek HD Audio output

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller MagicISO SCSI Host Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD1600JS-22NCB1 (149 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616 (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 152617 MB (11593 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (24.8.43.132)

Peripherals:
Printer Adobe PDF
Printer Brother HL-1440 series (Copy 1)
Printer Brother HL-1440 series
Printer Send To OneNote 2007
USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

LxTrix I have this Pioneer burner and it works very well. Go for it. You can't beat the price

So that said when i do get it out can i swap it out with the one i had installed, without worrying about having to set it up differently or gettign different cables

so i should go with sata, my cd drive and old dvd drive run off ide, the dvd drive is dead so should i just take it out and connect the wires from my floppy to cd drive changinging master and slave and then as far as a sata goes my hard drivve is sata so do i connect my new dvd drive to my hd or does it connect directly to my motherboard?

Most likely your board has at least 1 IDE interface that supports 2 IDE devices, so its a matter of preference that's all. I run a DVD ROM and the Pioneer DVD burner both IDE. I have an IDE 80GB Hard Drive and a 400GB SATA Hard Drive, so its mix and match for me...

Since the old DVD drive was IDE, its easy to go with a new IDE DVD burner and use the existing flat cable setup

No; sata is on its own (not like ATA/IDE)

Throw away the CD (actually get rid of all the IDE (except floppy) that's safer

SATA is quicker!

Actually, you may have noticed I'm not saying which DVD is better, I'm just saying Sata is better (same applies for HardDrives)

The DVD I have no idea, lol, maybe Tmagic650 knows the best one.

kimsland said:
Actually, you may have noticed I'm not saying which DVD is better, I'm just saying Sata is better (same applies for HardDrives)

The DVD I have no idea, lol, maybe Tmagic650 knows the best one.

SATA wil make virtually NO difference when you are dealing with optical drives. Both SATA and IDE will supply more data than any drive can write. Might as well save the SATA ports for the HDDs. Which incidentally can't write data at anywhere near the speed at which SATA 2 can supply it either. But, they're a hell of a lot faster than an optical drive.

My four Pioneer DVD burners all work just fine, thank you very much. I plan on buying another brace of them for my new computer, you know just for a treat. TSST drives don't seem to work as well, (for me), in my limited experience with them (2 drives). Your results may vary.

Yes but it gets rid of the ATA cable, and avoids any conflict the IDE drives can have
If it's a choice, I'd still say SATA
Umm speed of Drive is not the issue (sorry about that)

Grrr. I'm not replying :)

Hmmm...

Now how did I know you wouldn't agree?

Besides, for 3 or 4 bucks, round ATA cables look neat, and they come in lots of colors.

"SATA wil make virtually NO difference when you are dealing with optical drives. Both SATA and IDE will supply more data than any drive can write. Might as well save the SATA ports for the HDDs. Which incidentally can't write data at anywhere near the speed at which SATA 2 can supply it either. But, they're a hell of a lot faster than an optical drive"...

Beautiful post captaincranky,
I couldn't say it any better... Thanks. I am planning on going all SATA for hard drives and leaving the CD drives IDE. When the day comes where there are no IDE ports, I'll go all SATA. In LxTrix's case I would go IDE for the ease of installing without having to swap cables

IDE is the one then, same Pioneer DVD Burner from newegg so i can easily swap it since i'm no expert at this, if anyone can find a better drive for around the same price let me know, thanks everyone for your help

your the reason why i come here first for help ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back