Xbox 360 Elite dropping to $299 on August 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Microsoft currently offers its Xbox 360 console at three different price points: the $199 HDD-less Arcade, $299 60GB Pro, and $399 120GB Elite. However, a leaked Meijer ad obtained by Kotaku has been doing the rounds today seemingly confirming what has been rumored for months – the company will soon axe the Xbox 360 Pro from its lineup and drop the price on the Elite model to replace it.

The move will reportedly take place as early as August 30, which is also in line with previous rumors, and should make the Xbox 360 Elite only $50 more expensive than a Wii. Not bad considering you’ll get far more storage space, Netflix streaming, and in my opinion the best selection of titles and online gaming experience – well, for an extra fee. Microsoft has made no official comment on the matter, so for now it is just a (very likely) rumor.

Permalink to story.

Not bad for a DVD player.
I will wait on SONY'S Price drop on their Blu-ray Player and reliable gaming Beast.

Well I finally replaced my 360. I got one of the earliest ones and it red-ringed on me last month. I phoned MS and they checked the purchase date and I have owned it for 3 years and 2 months :) I dont get a free replacement because I was too careful with it!

Anyway, I went and bought a new arcade model today - the disk drive is quieter, the fans are quieter and its got hdmi. Cost me £135.

There are reasons I dont own a PS3 currently. The main one is that I dont know a game on it I want to play that isnt on the 360 and the online is in my opinion inferior. I like my downloadable content to be released quickly and I like the options like facebook integration that are being added to the dashboard plus the games on demand service they added today.

I might get the remodelled ps3 if its cheaper than the current model but I have no idea what I will play on it - I already have a blueray burner in my PC thats attached to the telly and all the games I want are available on the afformentioned microsoft console as well.

good to hear the price drop for the elite :) would be more annoyed if i had bought an elite today but i didnt need a new hardrive - already picked up a 60gig one for cheap.

That's a bargain. What's up Microsoft's sleeve?!

I predict a move from Sony in the next 5 days. These two are in a tug-of-war for the same audience. Sony can't leave the market without an answer.

At least 360's will be shipping with decent sized HDD's now by default, Sony is going to have a lot harder of a time justifying the PS3's price if this happens.

tengeta said:
At least 360's will be shipping with decent sized HDD's now by default, Sony is going to have a lot harder of a time justifying the PS3's price if this happens.

It's not really default - you are still paying an extra $100 for the hard drive. That is, unless they drop the Arcade and make the $200 model the Pro. I heard speculation they were dropping the Pro model though.

Anyhow, I still think it's a good investment for the PS3 even if the elite gets a drop. A Blu ray player and free online gaming is worth the extra $100 to me. I will admit I do like the 360's dashboard setup better than the PS3's.. it's a bit more friendly, but doesn't make that big of a difference to me. The only thing I really want on my PS3 that isn't there is the party system.

I wonder if they will slip backwards compatability into the slim ps3? I think id definately have to consider a slim one if they did that.. even if it did cost a little bit more than it would have otherwise..

I found a game I might possibly want to play on the ps3 - Rage by ID software. John Carmack said somewhere that the detail was to be lowered for textures on the 360 version. The PS3 version may ship on 2 bluerays.. of course if its another quakewars, ill leave it well alone but it looks quite slick.

loving the jasper 360 btw - quieter (hugely), hdmi and half a gig of internal memory included. add the spare power supply I now and the extra controller (i finally have 4) and it feels like value for money.. i have paid more for many pc upgrades

ur an a..

I have both the XBOX 360 and the PS#....cough piece of **** 3 and too let you know, it does NOT even comes close to what MS machine and service it has to offer. I cant even do a voice chat with my friends unless im playing a multiplaya game...thats TOTALY crap man. XBOX 360 ALL THE WAY...THE BEST SYSTEM PERIOD. BEST SELECTION and DA BEST ONLINE EXPERIENCE.

I rest my case

I totaly agree with you 110%

xbox 360 all the way, the best system to date.

well i agree the ps3 is not as great as the xbox 360 I dont think it will ever be at this moment xbox 360 is coming out bigger and badder only thing that ps3 keeps up because of the graphics and blue ray which my cousin has a ps3 and xbox 360 he got his xbox 360 like a couple years back and got a ps3 this year I played this game called kill zone 2 I played it for the first 10 minutes I hated the controller it was soo.. uncomfortable in a way not disturbing but a bit small your hands cant really relax like the xbox 360 controllers but on kill zone 2 the online play... boring id give it a 2/5 for creativity for weapons and the graphics they should change the name to bored zone 2 ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back